Aircraft Update : Boeing 787-900 Aviator v1.3.0 by Magknight

Stephen

Boeing 787-9_Aviator v1.3 Header.jpg

Aircraft Update : Boeing 787-900 Aviator v1.3.0 by Magknight

Magknight has put out another update for the Dreamliner Aviator Edition to v1.3.0. This is mostly a behind the scenes systems adjustment, more than a visual update, but a few visual aspects have actually been changed (but you can't see them yet).

First to note that you will now have to update your Java to v11.0.3 to access the features on the aircraft, and again this is more to the future than what you will use in this update. I have a big list of installed Javas, but I still didn't have this one, so you will need to install it. Included in the update is a video on how to do this.

This information is posted on a new startup pop-up window when you now load up the B787...

Boeing 787-9_Aviator v1.3 Start.jpgBoeing 787-9_Aviator v1.3 Screen.jpg

....  besides the Java video it also notes the "Skunkcraft's Updater" and links to Discord and the development thread. On the Skunkcraft's updater I lost that feature on the last update, now it is back in again? so don't know what was going on there?

EICAS

Focus of this update is the EICAS - Engine-Indicating and Crew-Alerting System that is situated on the central left display.

Boeing 787-9_Aviator v1.3 EICAS.jpg

Most of the details are behind the scenes in the systems, but it is more set out visually, plus there is now the trim indicator added for the rudder. It may look the same but there are now more subtle differences pointed towards realism and you are seeing the aircraft slowly emerge from it's original basic form, like with the Navigation alignment (below left) the nice APU startup sequence (arrowed below right)

Boeing 787-9_Aviator v1.3 EICAS 2.jpgBoeing 787-9_Aviator v1.3 EICAS 3.jpg

We will come back to EICAS in a moment... in the last update with the introduction of the "Aviators Edition" we had the new feature of the EFB (Electronic Flight Bag" on the left. This EFB allowed you to access features and an setup the aircraft, the layouts are the same in this new version, but there are a few new addtions. Aircraft setup, and settings are the same except for the Baro that can now be linked together and not requiring individual settings, another option is for the choice of NWS (Nose Wheel Steering) to be selected to ROLL, and the NWS has also been refined better to work with the SimplePushBack plugin

Boeing 787-9_Aviator v1.3 EFB 2.jpgBoeing 787-9_Aviator v1.3 EFB 1.jpg

All EFB interaction is through the active keypad. All weights, fuel and performance are all added in, and a final adjustment page is used to set up and load everything into the aircraft's systems. (yes the fuel load is not set high here at 15,166 kgs as the route is only 698 nm, and a fraction the distance B789 can cover)

Boeing 787-9_Aviator v1.3 EFB 3.jpgBoeing 787-9_Aviator v1.3 EFB 4.jpgBoeing 787-9_Aviator v1.3 EFB 5.jpgBoeing 787-9_Aviator v1.3 EFB 6.jpg

When all the data is inputted, you can then "CALC" or set everything and get the  aircraft's "Takeoff Weight and CoG (centre of gravity), the one thing I will note is that this Magknight B789 is very good for first timers in for a step introduction to setting up aircraft in this way, it is still quite basic compared to a full study grade aircraft, but it is a good start on how to work things out, but also don't take it either as gospel, as there are still a few blank areas like with the takeoff bug speeds.

EICAS (part two) the Dreamliner has a fully independent engine start procedure (nothing like the old pumps and bleeds of the 60"s), and in reality all you do is switch on the chosen engines fuel flow and hit the start switch. v1.3.0 has now the full custom automatic engine start system following over 20 conditions, and it is well done and realistic, and 20 new EICAS messages that are also now part of the system. Again this is nothing like a fully graded B767 or Airbus, but it is certainly a big step forward in system realism.

Boeing 787-9_Aviator v1.3 EICAS 4.jpgBoeing 787-9_Aviator v1.3 EICAS 5.jpg

Overall the systems feel more plugin driven now than PlaneMaker automatic, switches here will effect systems there on the overhead panel like with the Hydraulics and Packs (Air-Con) and Pressurisation, Electrical also feels more realistic and all are loosing that snap click to the smooth button operations. The annoying loose sticking out FLCH button is now where it should be and flat to the panel.

Externally

It looks the same but it isn't. The fuselage is being slowly rebuilt, but it is still covered in the original textures, so you really can't tell. The NMLs (the bumps, grooves and lines) have been redone and all for the coming cabin of which there are early renders here:

Boeing 787-9_Aviator v1.3 Cabin Renders 1.jpgBoeing 787-9_Aviator v1.3 Cabin Renders 2.jpg

Excited!, yes...   the crappy nose is still there and so is the wrongly raked front windows, but it is coming.

Boeing 787-9_Aviator v1.3 External 1.jpgBoeing 787-9_Aviator v1.3 External 2.jpg

Those nice RR Trent 1000 engines have now been aligned more slightly upwards and feel far much better. You can now select the LNAV/VNAV selections on the ground, I rarely use the VNAV as I have my own climb profiles.

Boeing 787-9_Aviator v1.3 External 3.jpgBoeing 787-9_Aviator v1.3 External 4.jpg

Many areas have had adjustment including the brakes, autobrakes, spoilers and gear operation system of which is all new...  

Boeing 787-9_Aviator v1.3 External 5.jpgBoeing 787-9_Aviator v1.3 External 6.jpg

.... with a low fuel load the B789 will climb easily like a banshee, 2,200fpm at full thrust can make short work of a climb to FL360...

Boeing 787-9_Aviator v1.3 External 7.jpgBoeing 787-9_Aviator v1.3 External 8.jpg

...  once there and the required m85 (mach) speed is no problems either, you feel the modernity in this latest of new generation aircraft. Spoilers now run in cycle from the "spoilers toggle" command.

Boeing 787-9_Aviator v1.3 Flying 4.jpgBoeing 787-9_Aviator v1.3 Flying 5.jpg

Dreamliner looks seriously spectacular in the air...

Boeing 787-9_Aviator v1.3 Flying 1.jpgBoeing 787-9_Aviator v1.3 Flying 2.jpgBoeing 787-9_Aviator v1.3 Flying 3 LG.jpg

Magknights B789 is still however very tricky to land, originally it was the thrust reversers, then the brakes. But it is now getting better. The B789 should disconnect the AT (Autothrottle) on the use of the reversers? but it seems it still doesn't work, but I don't like that system either as you have no control over the throttles until you are actually on the runway... odd, so I will always use the manual throttle input for landing.

Boeing 787-9_Aviator v1.3 Flying 7.jpgBoeing 787-9_Aviator v1.3 Flying 6.jpg

Landing notes are 155 knts at full flap is about right, but the aircraft still has a tendency to bounce (created by too much speed?) so landings are still very tricky, at 155 knts you should settle fine as it is slow enough... I will work on that one.

Boeing 787-9_Aviator v1.3 Flying 8.jpgBoeing 787-9_Aviator v1.3 Flying 9.jpgBoeing 787-9_Aviator v1.3 Flying 10.jpgBoeing 787-9_Aviator v1.3 Flying 11.jpgBoeing 787-9_Aviator v1.3 Flying 12.jpg

Far better was the fuel consumption, I had a rant with the earlier "Aviator" upgrade that the fuel consumption was way, way off, but although this was a short haul, I was pretty please with the returned numbers. 15166 kgs was the fuel load at Dusseldorf and at the gate at Arlanda (ESSA) the return was 5.9 kgs and bang on the SimBrief numbers of 5.9 remaining and 9.3 used, pretty good, and happy with that, but I would like to do a long haul at full weights to see if it is correct and match the earlier review, but overall impressed.

Summary

A very nice update for one of the most popular aircraft in X-Plane in Magknight's Boeing 787-900 Dreamliner, this update is v1.3.0

Focus here is on the EICAS - Engine-Indicating and Crew-Alerting System and the requirement of the JAVA v1.3 plugin. Other items include a lot of fixes and changes with the Nose Wheel Steering and new fuselage NMLs as the highlights.

There is now the full scale implimentation of EICAS with a fully custom automatic engine start system following over 20 conditions with 20 new EICAS (warning) messages, most is hidden within the systems, but you can now get a very realistic EICAS and startup simulation. Fuel consumption is highly improved.

We will note that this aircraft is purchased under the situation that it is a WIP in progress, this a continuous development that gives you updates about about every three months, exciting is the coming new 3D cabin and better visuals.

The aircraft is also great for fliers wanting to transition from basic to study grade aircraft, it is easy enough to follow in settings, but not deep enough to burn your brain in absolute study grade detail and the aircraft is progressing quickly, but it is also still is not fully formed...  if you follow the process however you will learn a lot and transfer those new skills to heavier graded aircraft... it is seriously nice to have a greatly detailed Dreamliner in X-Plane as well.... on to the next upgrade.

X-Plane Store logo sm.jpg

Yes! the Boeing 787-900 Aviator Edition Dreamliner v1.3.0 by Magknight is available from the X-Plane.Org Store here :

B787-9 Aviator Edition

Price is US$44.95

This version is X-Plane 11.35 only! Earlier XP10 or XP11 versions are now not supported.

Upgrade cost to the "Aviator Edition" from the original payware release version is US$10, see your X-Plane.OrgStore account for the upgrade.

Features

General
  • Brand new flight model built for X-Plane 11.30+
  • Improved wingflex
  • Custom IRS simulation, with quick align
  • Auto-update for the lifetime of X-Plane 11
  • LED exterior lights (exclusive)
  • Revised font for cockpit textures
  • New yoke model
  • Revised cockpit textures
Electronic flight bag
  • Take-off calculator
  • PDF chart loader
  • Fuel, cargo and passenger loading
Configuration
  • Most settings saved globally
  • Configurable units for weight, altimeter, minimums saved per-livery
  • Support for metric altitude
  • Optional custom cursor
Custom electrical system
  • Designed from the ground up for the 787
  • Ground power unit
  • Custom anti-ice, simulating the resistance in each mat
New: Custom fuel and hydraulics systems
  • Brand new custom fuel system (1.2.0) including pump alternation and many other features
  • New custom hydraulics system covering all flight controls, gear and more
  • Updated timers and logic for flight controls based on the hydraulics and electrical systems
HelpfulPointers (exclusive)
  • Designed for online flying
  • The aircraft advises you if you forget something important such as lights or transponder.
Liveries
  • 10 liveries are included by default; many more are available online:
  • Air Canada, Air China, American Airlines, British Airways, Japan Airlines, LAN Airlines (pre-merger livery), LOT Polish Airlines, United Airlines, Factory (white), Factory (standard)
  • An additional blank livery is provided for livery painters, along with a full paint kit
Auto-Updater
  • Includes the Skunkcraft Updater for Auto-updates

Requirements:

X-Plane 11.30+ (Prior versions of X-Plane not supported)

Windows, Mac or Linux
4GB VRAM Minimum - 8GB+ VRAM recommended
Current and Review version : 1.3.0 (July 13th 2019)

Installation : Download is 231.14mb which is unzipped and is inserted in your Heavy Aircraft  folder as a 321mb folder (with downloaded liveries)

Liveries are downloaded and inserted into your B787 root folder separately as a 34.4mb Folder.

Documentation : Manual

Cabin images are courtesy of aeroniemi (magknight)

v1.3.0 changelog (attached)

Magknight Boeing 789 Dreamliner changelog v1.3.0.rtf

Review by Stephen Dutton

16th July 2019

Copyright©2019: X-Plane Reviews

(Disclaimer. All images and text in this review are the work and property of X-PlaneReviews, no sharing or copy of the content is allowed without consent from the author as per copyright conditions)

Review System Specifications:

Computer System: Windows  - Intel Core i7 6700K CPU 4.00GHz / 64bit - 16 Gb single 1067 Mhz DDR4 2133 - ASUS GeForce GTX 1080 8Gb - Samsung Evo 1Tb SSD 

Software:   - Windows 10 - X-Plane 11.30b2 (aircraft will only fly in 11.30)

Addons: Saitek x56 Rhino Pro system Joystick and Throttle : Sound - Bose  Soundlink Mini

Plugins: Environment Engine by xEnviro v1.10 US$69.90 : WorldTraffic 3.0 Plugin - US$29.95 : BetterPushBack - Free

Scenery or Aircraft

Logo Header X-PlaneReviews 200px.jpg

Hi,

Unfortunately this version of the B787 is a waste of money without further MUCH needed development! 

The FMS is not correct in configuration, the Flight modes do not work and the Autothrottle system does not work.

for some reason you cannot get out of Altitude hold! 

No EICAS checklist available! 

The developer has tried to make a working aircraft of the B787, but without the basics it’s just a $45 US simple outside aircraft vision only sim! 

Very disapointed it have wasted my money😡

The point of this B787 of being an open development has been made very clear, and highlighted in every review, so in this respect it is not a completed project and we all expect as much, the development has been extremely good over the period the aircraft has been noted as an "Aviator" product and we all support the project as such, you have not wasted your money, just not understood the project's guidelines and in time you will get the features you have paid for, for the future in respect check out the product before you purchase if you want a fully formed aircraft.

• 2 months later...

Actually the Magknight B787 is due for another update right now. The team announced the update at the Cosford Flight Sim event and the details provided in the update are these:

• Interim CDU
  • New autothrottle
  • Throttle limiter
  • FMOD sound set by AudiobirdXP
  • New fuselage model
  • 3D Cabin model
  • PA announcements

The presentation also noted as coming soon the Rolls Royce Trent 1000 engines, evacuation slides, air conditioning/pressurisation, fuel jettison and checklists

I wouldn't expect however an upgraded FMC for a while yet, it is a complicated beast to to do, but it will come.  🤔

• 4 weeks later...

Hello,

I have opened the 787 after it loaded I now have SkunkCrafts Updater saying a update v1.3.10 is available how and where do I go to get the update I'm happy to pay the $10 but when I go to the orgstore it is saying $44 I live in Australia and this cost me $60 AUD I'm not paying another $60 

See this review to explain the pricing system (yes it is very complex) Aircraft Reissue : Boeing 787-9 Dreamliner Aviator’s Edition by Magknight

If you are a past purchaser of the Dreamliner then yes you should be in line for the US$10 upgrade price, if not showing on your X-Plane.OrgStore account then contact the store, that is if you have the original purchase order, if not then it is the full new price. And yes living in Australia (Gold Coast) we get hammered in the US-AUS conversion rates, I'm in the same bucket as you. That said, even paying $60+ the aircraft in time will match the value you are paying, there will be crossover point where the value will go into your favor, maybe in twelve months, maybe more, but in the long run you will gain.

There is a QF livery which I used in this review Aircraft Reissue : Boeing 787-9 Dreamliner Aviator’s Edition by Magknight but I had to do a bit of work on it to make more realstic, however there is a Hi-Def new model version coming out soon, so I wouldn't invest in this poor quality livery, I am sure a quality one will come with that release.

Just two quick questions if I may? I have watched 3 - 4 videos on using the EFB and have noticed they have different features where when I go in to do the fuel it only has 2 input boxes but I have seen on a few videos people can put fuel in the center tank, but I don't have that button?  Also everytime I fill in the information on weather and so then I click the CALC Button it never gives me the trim or any of the vspeeds 

Missing Input box.jpg

12 minutes ago, Stephen said:

There is a QF livery which I used in this review Aircraft Reissue : Boeing 787-9 Dreamliner Aviator’s Edition by Magknight but I had to do a bit of work on it to make more realstic, however there is a Hi-Def new model version coming out soon, so I wouldn't invest in this poor quality livery, I am sure a quality one will come with that release.

12 minutes ago, Stephen said:

Awesome I'll hold out till it arrives, and how do I fix not getting the Vspeeds or the trim? 

Awesome I'll hold out till it arrives, and how do I fix not getting the Vspeeds or the trim? 

nO v1 vr v2.jpg

Thanks mate I did press the CALC button but it still comes up empty, Do you have a link to the update for the 787 - 900 I can't see it on X-Plane.org, Sorry mate I won't bug you too much more just trying to get things sorted and there seems to be no way to contact X-Plane to get the update for $10 

Hi Stephen,

If you are there I'm in the 787 cockpit about to do a flight, just need help with 2 things......How do I adjust the trim, it's on 0.0, I need to put at 3.5, the ND NU Has a green square do I need to move the arrow up to the green square and if yes How do I move the Arrow?,

Second thing I have noticed in alot of tutorials  people have the MFD L light on is it needed and how do I turn them on? 

Thanks mate

• 1 month later...