Aircraft Review : CRJ-900 by AD Simulations/Delta Wing

Stephen

CRJ-900 Header.jpg

Aircraft Review : CRJ-900 by AD Simulations/Delta Wing

At Christmas 2021, AD Simulations a new developer studio released their version of the CRJ-700 for the X-Plane Simulator. X-Plane has long needed these excellent regional jets, that grew out out Bombardier's already successful Private Jet Challenger range. Modeling and features are exceptional, all the better for the high value price of being under US$50, but being new and straight out of the box the aircraft's performance and it's flight characteristic areas was at the time a little lacking.

The CRJ project had started earlier with Supercritical Simulations Group banner (SSG), but a breakup a year earlier saw the development teams all take off in all their own different directions, and that aspect showed a little on the development front on release. AD Simulations was then joined up with an old experienced X-Plane developer by the name of DeltaWing, and he quickly brought a lot of his developer talents to the aircraft to sort out the important better flight performance and give the aircraft the Kudos it really deserved, hence came the quick succession of those five updates since that late 2021 release to this late April date, and to bring the -700 aircraft to the successful product it now is, and all those aspects have been transferred directly to this newer release, so -900 should be good straight out of the box.

That is a lot of story for just only a few months, but more was offered in that AD Simulations has now released the larger CRJ-900 (type certified as the CL-600-2024), and the even larger CRJ-1000 is also promised in the future.

It is not hard to imagine if you already own the earlier CRJ-700, on what the -900 version has to offer. For basically it is the same aircraft, with just the bit longer 12ft twin plug longer fuselage than the CRJ-700 Series. The -900 however has the more up-rated General Electric CF34-8C5 powerplants with 14,510 lbf (64.5 kN) thrust each with APR. The earlier GE CF34-8C5B1 had only 13,790 lbf (61.3 kN) available. The seating capacity goes up as well to 76–90 seats compared to the -700 66 to 78 seating layout.

CRJ-700 - Head.jpgCRJ-900 - Head.jpg

Externally the -900 Series is very much in the same high quality modeling and the detail driven aspect as the earlier -700, no surprise there as they are only months, and not years apart in design and development.

CRJ-900 - Head 1.jpgCRJ-900 - Head 2.jpgCRJ-900 - Head 3.jpgCRJ-900 - Head 4.jpgCRJ-900 - Head 5.jpg

It is an odd business, the original design (in this case the -700) was proportioned correctly, but add in a plug or two and in making it longer, somehow makes the -900 look even more perfect, the CRJ-1000 will probably look a bit too over long and out of proportion, so it is a bit of a goldilocks thing of the -900 being or looking "Just right".

The only area different externally from the -700 (besides the length) is that the winglets are taller and more raked, again nicely done here with that same excellent metal leading edge detail.

CRJ-900 - Head 6.jpgCRJ-900 - Head 7.jpg

Landing gear, GE CF34 Engine Pods, leading and rear edge wing quality and all that detail is still stupendous, the quality delivered here is certainly far better than some of the aircraft in the higher and far more expensive catagories, from this value price.

CRJ-900 - Head 8.jpgCRJ-900 - Head 9.jpgCRJ-900 - Head 10.jpgCRJ-900 - Head 11.jpgCRJ-900 - Head 12.jpgCRJ-900 - Head 13.jpg

Cockpit window tint, was and still is a bit too dark for me (other users are not crazy either), but it is well done, as are the side windows in quality and reflection.

CRJ-900 - Head 14.jpgCRJ-900 - Head 15.jpg

All doors, including the main left stairs, Twin mid-fuselage Baggage holds, Rear high Baggage hold and right side Service Door all open and are extremely well and are highly animated and detailed.

CRJ-900 - Head 16.jpgCRJ-900 - Head 17.jpgCRJ-900 - Head 18.jpgCRJ-900 - Head 19.jpg

Like the -700, don't go looking for the extreme features here, like you will get on the Q4XP. There are no static elements, loading animations, but there is a nice GPU (Ground Power unit). I expect the GHD plugin will as with -700 make up a lot of those missing elements, however the stair rails drop down for the use of an Airbridge.

CRJ-900 - Head 20.jpg

Cabin

The biggest area of difference between the -700 and the -900 is in the cabin, not the obvious longer length, but in the slightly different feel and style inside. Business forward seats have a seat back blue pattern design that is really classy, and far, far better than the light tan in the -700 . The main economy section has another blue design, but cloth this time instead of the black vinyl seating that made the -700 cabin a bit dark, it all works extremely better in this cabin.... And I really like this cabin.

CRJ-900 - Cabin 1.jpgCRJ-900 - Cabin 2.jpgCRJ-900 - Cabin 3.jpgCRJ-900 - Cabin 4.jpgCRJ-900 - Cabin 5.jpgCRJ-900 - Cabin 6.jpg

On the -900 there has also been added in new cabin animations (I expect the -700 to get the same treatment in a future update?). The seatback trays can now be lowered (always a favorite of mine) via the tray catch and the so you can also lower the window blinds, however you have get very close to the shade to make it work, as they can't be one by one adjusted from a distance?. Overhead bins also now open as well (very nice) via the handles and the overhead panel detail is just sublime.

CRJ-900 - Cabin 7.jpgCRJ-900 - Cabin 9.jpgCRJ-900 - Cabin 11.jpgCRJ-900 - Cabin 10.jpg

With the CRJ-700 in it's 1.01 update there was a highly detailed and animated rear bathroom (See CRJ-700 Review). It's here in the -900 version as well, but I found a boundary layer didn't allow me inside like on the -700?. But it is there.

CRJ-900 - Cabin 12.jpgCRJ-900 - Cabin 13.jpg

With the extra length however of the -900 you also get an extra toilet forward, it is as detailed as the rear installation. With toilet flush, animated seating and clever door latches and closed door lighting. Handy to use just before landing than walking to the back of the aircraft.

CRJ-900 - Cabin 18.jpgCRJ-900 - Cabin 16.jpgCRJ-900 - Cabin 17.jpg

The front galley area was sensational on the -700. It is the same here (with a few new additions) in the -900...  and it is a very highly realistic working area. Again both the rear and front crew jumpseats can be animated out for use.

CRJ-900 - Cabin 14.jpgCRJ-900 - Cabin 15.jpg

Lighting

On the -700 the cabin lighting was two crude lighting adjustable knobs on the rear cockpit bulkhead, we always knew they were there just as a temporary fixup job.

One of the main features on the CRJ-900 is the cabin lighting panel forward upper left. In fact there are two lighting panels, one for the Cabin and one for the Galley.

CRJ-900 - Cabin 18.jpgCRJ-900 - Cabin 19.jpg

With all the lighting switched off, you get this nice blue aisle emergency strip lighting, There are a few overhead central lights, but they are quite if very weak and non-adjustable which feels like a wasted opportunity? The emergency EXIT lights are on and look great..

CRJ-900 - Cabin 20.jpg

There is "Door Assist", that lights up the entrance area, and the lights in the stairs (but again they are not very bright).

CRJ-900 - Cabin 21.jpgCRJ-900 - Cabin 22.jpg

The "Ceiling Lighting" which switches on the main reflective ceiling lighting, comes in two options "Full" and "Dim". But the "Dim" option is not that much lower than the "Full" option?

CRJ-900 - Cabin 23.jpgCRJ-900 - Cabin 24.jpg

Next you have the "Sidewall Lighting", that gives off a very blue "Atmosphere" style of lighting, again in "Full" and "Dim" modes.

CRJ-900 - Cabin 25.jpgCRJ-900 - Cabin 26.jpg

Combining both the "Ceiling" and "Sidewall" options with "Full" and "Dim" it can give you four different types of light pastel purple colour gradients...

CRJ-900 - Cabin 27.jpgCRJ-900 - Cabin 28.jpgCRJ-900 - Cabin 29.jpgCRJ-900 - Cabin 30.jpg

Last lighting option is the "Entrance Lighting", again in "Full" and "Dim" but again the contrast was not as wide or felt realistic between the settings.

CRJ-900 - Cabin 31.jpgCRJ-900 - Cabin 32.jpg

On the Galley Panel there is the "Galley Lights", again in "Full" and "Dim" modes...   The ceiling Galley Lights and their reflections don't look very realistic or even plausible at all here, it feels like the wrong sort of idea for the lighting? You understand what the developer is trying to achieve, but it doesn't work at all in this context, mainly because the light reflected is the wrong tone of the light fittings, plus the lighting fittings are really awful and look just as horrible. Oddly the same idea worked so well in the -700, but not in here. Notable are the excellent "Potable Water System" lights, which are switchable on/off.

CRJ-900 - Cabin 33.jpgCRJ-900 - Cabin 34.jpgCRJ-900 - Cabin 35.jpgCRJ-900 - Cabin 36.jpg

There are "Reading Lights", Test and Reset (that all don't work) and "AFT ATT Reading Light" that I also couldn't see how it worked either or where the light(s) was... All the panel lights also don't light up to their setting (on/off) either.

Turn on all the lighting options,  and it does look really very effective...

CRJ-900 - Cabin 37.jpgCRJ-900 - Cabin 38.jpgCRJ-900 - Cabin 39.jpgCRJ-900 - Cabin 40.jpg

....  but overall the individual elements don't work separately enough to be totally realistic when used in their own context. And you lose those really nice down passenger seat lights that were in the -700, and to pick I liked the -700 cabin lighting more that the -900.

So overall the lighting needs more far work to be really realistic and the tone needs to be...  well "Toned down a bit".

For currently it is feeling it is falling a little bit short of its potential or it could be still a WIP (Work in Progress), of which in non-working areas stand out as the main reason.

A small note is that the boundaries are very tight in here, I have already noted the rear toilet, but also manoeuvring around the galley area and cockpit entrance was almost impossible, I didn't have that tight experience on the -700.

Cockpit

The cockpit is identical to the -700, so if you are used to that aircraft, then everything will be perfectly familiar here. Cross Crew Qualification (CCQ) or common type-rating between the three different sized CRJ's is minimal here, as that was focus of Bombardier's design brief.

CRJ-900 - Cockpit 1.jpgCRJ-900 - Cockpit 2.jpgCRJ-900 - Cockpit 3.jpgCRJ-900 - Cockpit 4.jpgCRJ-900 - Cockpit 5.jpgCRJ-900 - Cockpit 6.jpg

The cockpit looks and feels quite exceptional, because it is all so beautifully done, with just the right amount of wear and tear for ultimate realism.

There was a full cockpit description in the CRJ-700 Review. So there is no reason here to double that aspect up...

But there are some differences between the versions. All the switches now support new manipulators with Above/Below click for UP/DOWN movement and mouse wheel scroll, and they are certainly far better to use and sound (clicky) far better as well.

One new feature noted was that there is now a display knob on all the displays. This will turn on/off each individual display and adjust the display's brightness, but it still didn't work in my current v1.0.1 version, but expect that functionality soon in an update.

CRJ-900 - Cockpit 7.jpg

Tablet Menu

AD SImulation's Menu system is still currently quite basic and again almost a replica of the -700. There is however now two tablets on each of the pilots side.

CRJ-900 - Cockpit 8.jpgCRJ-900 - Cockpit 9.jpg

And like the window blinds you can still move it left and right along a track for the right position that you personally like....  and the tablet can also be stowed downwards (via the top little stick).

CRJ-700 Menu_B_1.jpgCRJ-700 Menu_B_3.jpgCRJ-700 Menu_B_2.jpgCRJ-700 Menu_B_4.jpg

You turn the tablet on via the button hotspot, and if you press the AD Simulations logo you get the window pop-out option.

CRJ-700 Menu_A_1.jpgCRJ-700 Menu_A_2.jpg

There are SEVEN icon menu options. The first icon box is the default blank screen and not counted here....  in order; DOOR HANDLING, COCKPIT, PASSENGERS, (ICON not currently active?), FUEL LOAD, SETTINGS and INFO.

DOOR HANDLING : There are four doors on the CRJ-900 that can be opened from the menu. Passenger Door (front left), Service Door (front right), Cargo Centre Door and the upper Aft Cargo door.

CRJ-700 Menu_A_3.jpg

COCKPIT : In the cockpit menu you can select to start up "COLD and DARK" or "READY to TAXI" or the aircraft completely shutdown or completely powered up and ready for flight. Missing again is the wanted state of "Turnaround", which remembers the last situation of the aircraft and an aircraft state option I mostly use? A lot of settings are kept to use from flight to flight, but not the important ones (Fuel, Passengers....  etc ).

"USE EXTERNAL POWER" places a very nice and connected GPU (Ground Power Unit) outside to the right of the aircraft.

CRJ-700 Menu_A_4.jpgCRJ-900 - Cockpit 10.jpg

PASSENGERS : You can load the amount of passengers via the central slider which is/was totally impossible to use. Thankfully rectified in v1.01 of the -700, AD Sim then gave you the option to input the passenger count directly...  again a big improvement of a critical loading tool in the new aircraft, but there are still no Cargo or Payload options.

CRJ-700 Menu_A_6.jpgCRJ-700 Menu_A_7.jpg

FUEL LOAD : Unlike the early -700 version, you can now add in (thankfully) the Fuel numbers directly for each wing and the centre tank, and that input is shown in the lower right of the menu screen, this area can also be used directly to put in the "TOTAL FUEL WEIGHT" if you want a quick and easy option. Both Lbs and Kgs are available as your fuel load options via the INFO Page.

CRJ-700 Menu_A_8.jpgCRJ-700 Menu_A_9.jpg

What there is still missing however really is a quality BALANCE and FUEL page for both the PASSENGERS and FUEL weight inputs, as for what is shown here is still all very basic and the weights come with no Centre of Gravity graph or numbers like ZFW (Zero Fuel Weight).

SETTINGS : The SETTINGS menu page has three menu selections; GLASSES, SOUNDS and MISC.

GLASSES; changes the tint and reflection options for both the cockpit windows and displays.

CRJ-700 Menu_A_10.jpgCRJ-700 Menu_A_11.jpg

SOUNDS and MISC;  The SOUNDS page gives you five sliders covering; EXTERIOR ENGINES, INTERIOR ENGINES, WIND EFFECT, WEATHER & EXT ENV (Environment) and finally Cockpit and Cabin (sounds). The sliders can again be tricky to use and mouse scrolling is the best way of using the sliders, otherwise the settings will jump to the wrong choice?

CRJ-700 Menu_A_18.jpgCRJ-700 Menu_A_19.jpg

MISC is the only menu option change between the -700 and the -900. Gone are the "FLY BY WIRE" or "SIMULATION" options, to be replaced by three new options of; PDF ARROW ATTITUDE INDICATOR, USER'S VIEW (Captain, First Officer or Observer) and if you use the Alpha Flight Controls Honeycomb Yoke, as it needed a separate input connection for the aircraft, the developer also noted to, "to turn on all avionics switches, otherwise it will not power the avionics".

INFO : The menu "Information" page shows you your WEIGHT with Left Wing/Centre/Right Wing Fuel quantity, TOTAL FUEL, PASSENGERS and the TOTAL WEIGHT (TOW) lower. This will compute your Takeoff and Landing VRefs and STAB TRIM, and you can load these parameters directly into the system. You can also here change from Kg to Lbs.

CRJ-700 Menu_A_20.jpgCRJ-700 Menu_A_21.jpg

No doubt the Tablet Menu still has a lot lacking for such an important tool, for instance there is no AviTab intergration, which is a must have on and for aircraft of this category.

Flying the CRJ-900

I am going to fly the same EKCH (Copenhagen) to EGLL (Heathrow) route as I did in the CRJ-700 and compare the differences.

CRJ-900 - Flying 1.jpgCRJ-900 - Flying 2.jpg

Time for pushback...  I have never gelled to the fuel shutoff levers, got used to them, but never really loved them...  no, not at all. You just don't feel that click, clacky switch feel, and you don't know if they are locked (down?) or up or not...  really I still don't like them.

CRJ-900 - Flying 3.jpgCRJ-900 - Flying 5.jpgCRJ-900 - Flying 4.jpgCRJ-900 - Flying 6.jpg

Your also still stuck with the really laborious to set up and not very exact Laminar Default FMS, a poor PLAN Mode setting in the MAP/MFD does not help you no end either. AD SImulation's notes that a custom FMS is going to be done for all the Ad Simulations CRJ versions, the sooner the better.

A late but welcome addition on the -700 and also now on the -900 is a working Clock/Chronometer, here it is finally nice to log your flying time.

I tested the updated CRJ-700 in the v1.1.2 update just a week ago. Personally I was not over thrilled with the Tiller steering. The -700 wandered all over the taxiway, even without moving the tiller wheel?

Here however I find the nosewheel far more better at staying and tracking to the centre line and far more to my liking, it is a marked improvement over the other aircraft...  does the longer fuselage length help? Maybe, but it is certainly far better in tracking straight.

CRJ-900 - Taxi 2.jpgCRJ-900 - Taxi 1.jpg

Ready to go and the clock (is finally) running...

CRJ-900 - Flying 7.jpgCRJ-900 - Flying 8.jpg

Push up the throttles and "Boy" do you feel that extra thrust...  yes I am in a bigger aircraft, yes I am a heavier weight, but the upgraded CF34-8C5s with thier 14,510 lbf (64.5 kN) of thrust will give you a right kick in the back, and your soon at the rotate speed of 181 knts.

CRJ-900 - Flying 9.jpgCRJ-900 - Flying 10.jpg

Calling out "Positive Climb", and your powering up very quickly...  climb rate is the same 3500 fpm maximum, but on average you will initially still do the 3000 fpm, reducing down to 2300fpm at around 12,000ft...   just like in the -700, but you get there faster.

CRJ-900 - Flying 11.jpgCRJ-900 - Flying 12.jpg

I am going to admit, I love the -900 version a lot, it feels the more balanced and comes with a better feeling in it's handling than the -700, that extra length make a whole lot of difference were it counts... that is behind the controls and the way the aircraft behaves in the air.

CRJ-900 - Flying 13.jpg

The CRJ-900 looks nicer in the air as well...  and you notice that extra length.

CRJ-900 - Flying 14.jpgCRJ-900 - Flying 15.jpgCRJ-900 - Flying 16.jpgCRJ-900 - Flying 17.jpg

The CRJ900 can cruise 8–10,000 ft higher with a slightly higher fuel burn and with an average true airspeed of 450–500 knots, which is a significant improvement over its predecessor. So altitudes of 40,000ft are easily acquired, full service ceiling is still 41,000 ft / 12,479 m.

Today I am going for FL400, 40,000ft (via SimBrief) and the CRJ doesn't flinch at climbing hard up to that high altitude. First FL360, then steps of 1,000ft to to FL400, "Easy".

CRJ-900 - Flying 19.jpg

Maximum speed is 0.82 Mach (470 kn, 871 km/h), actually slightly slower than the -700 at 0.825 Mach (473 kn, 876 km/h), but around 0.76m or 0.78m is your usual Cruise speed depending on the weight. Range is 1,553 NM / 2,876 km (LR)1,622 NM / 3,004 km.

It is nice up here at FL400...

CRJ-900 - Flying 20.jpg

Internal lighting is basically the same as the -700, in other words very if extremely good in the cockpit...

CRJ-900 - Lighting Int 1.jpgCRJ-900 - Lighting Int 2.jpgCRJ-900 - Lighting Int 3.jpgCRJ-900 - Lighting Int 4.jpgCRJ-900 - Lighting Int 5.jpg

The ten dropdown lights for the side panels and the centre main instrument panel are still glorious, and so are the two animated spotlights either side of the OHP Console, which are animated and adjustable...  but they are still very hard to actually manoeuvre with your mouse (moving left to right is via your scroll). There is also the rear spotlight over the cockpit entrance.

The DOME lighting only covers the front section of the cockpit lighting, very nice, but still quite dark for working inflight. If you want a brightly lit cockpit then the each far side LIGHTING panel gives you that per side lighting option and all very good is.

The cabin is really to your taste, in the dark it looks a bit lurid, even at all the low "DIM" settings. Switching off the sidewall lighting does make it look and feel more realistically softer.

CRJ-900 - Lighting Int 6.jpgCRJ-900 - Lighting Int 7.jpg

Externally the bight tinted hues show as well, in creating a very bright cabin externally, otherwise all the external lighting is all very good in tail, wing, navigation, (nice) strobes and some great looking landing lights to complete the perfect detail.

CRJ-900 - Lighting Int 8.jpgCRJ-900 - Lighting Int 9.jpgCRJ-900 - Lighting Int 10.jpgCRJ-900 - Lighting Int 11.jpg

Time to go down...  I will use most of the English Channel to descend from 40,000ft (FL400) to 6,000ft (FL60) as it is a long way down, so you need the space to descend, so my descent starts at IDRID, at a minus 2,300fpm. I can now assign the landing vRef speeds from the INFO part of the menu into the PFD for landing.

CRJ-900 - EGLL 1.jpgCRJ-900 - EGLL 2.jpgCRJ-900 - EGLL 3.jpgCRJ-900 - EGLL 4.jpg

What would London be without soft foggy cloudy conditions, it lives up to it's reputation...  again.

CRJ-900 - EGLL 5.jpgCRJ-900 - EGLL 6.jpg

Coming into Heathrow from the west (Rwy 27R) is always a messy approach,it is  a lot of fiddling and twisting to miss the central city part of London..

CRJ-900 - EGLL 7.jpgCRJ-900 - EGLL 8.jpgCRJ-900 - EGLL 9.jpgCRJ-900 - EGLL 10.jpg

...  so it is always going to a full on manual approach, the FMS routing is too complicated to edit to get perfectly right. Get in the groove and it is a thrilling thing, but getting your speeds and flap settings done as early as possible is extremely important, in other words "get the aircraft sorted".

CRJ-900 - EGLL 11.jpgCRJ-900 - EGLL 12.jpg

In the final approach phase it is all about the speed, speed and speed, not dropping too fast or going in too slow, it is harder to do than what you think it is... 

CRJ-900 - EGLL 13.jpgCRJ-900 - EGLL 14.jpgCRJ-900 - EGLL 15.jpg

...   110 knts sounds slow, but it feels very fast in this aircraft.

CRJ-900 - EGLL 16.jpgCRJ-900 - EGLL 19.jpg

Steady, steady...  you have to get the landing just right in the flare, and then the need to BANG the rear gear down HARD on to the runway, if you don't the thrust reversers won't engage. And you are also very aware of that higher longer nose than with the -700.

CRJ-900 - EGLL 17.jpgCRJ-900 - EGLL 18.jpgCRJ-900 - EGLL 21.jpg

the length is noticeable on turning as well and in the taxiing manoeuvres....  Welcome to London.

CRJ-900 - EGLL 20.jpg

Liveries

There is not as many liveries with the CRJ-900 as there was with the CRJ-700 and also only a few odd different airline changes. So there is here only eleven to the seventeen provided with the former aircraft. But like with the -700 we are quite sure the painters will have a field day in providing most liveries that you will require for the -900 version. These like on the -700 are excellent.

CRJ-900 - Livery AD Sim 1.jpgCRJ-900 - Livery Aegean 2.jpgCRJ-900 - Livery American Eagle 3.jpgCRJ-900 - Livery CRJ 4.jpgCRJ-900 - Livery Delta 5.jpgCRJ-900 - Livery Horizon 6.jpgCRJ-900 - Livery IBEX 7.jpgCRJ-900 - Livery Lufthansa 8.jpgCRJ-900 - Livery SAS Blue 9.jpgCRJ-900 - Livery SAS Red 10.jpgCRJ-900 - Livery Spirit 11.jpg

Summary

Just a few months ago at Christmas 2021, AD Simulations released a Bombardier CRJ-700 for the X-Plane Simulator, now only in April 2022, along here comes the longer CRJ-900 version, and a CRJ-1000 is also promised coming later.

The CRJ-900 is a 12 ft (Twin-Plugged) stretch of the CRJ-700, with a bigger seating capacity of 76–90 seats. It has the uprated CF34-8C5 powerplants as well to fly higher and in most aspects faster.

The AD Simulations CRJ-700 was and is sensationally modeled and designed, and there is nothing lacking in that department here either. The cockpit and it's intricate details are almost exactly the same, except for a small change on the INFO page in the menu. Externally the modeling is totally superb, and highly detailed, but there are few ground features except for a GPU. A note that in the changes or extras

It is in the rear cabin that we find the biggest differences between the two aircraft. The Seating design is different and nicely coloured, and far better than the darker -700 version, and you get a forward detailed toilet now as well as the one at the rear. You also get animated sliding window blinds, opening baggage lockers and drop down meal trays.

There is now also two new lighting panels, one for the cabin and one for the galley. The lighting panels will give you lighting options including the "Atmosphere" look of a pastel purple flavour in "Full" or "Dim" modes, and the original roof grey colouring is still there if you prefer that style. The Galley lighting is not as successful and is far better on the -700, but the galley itself is excellent. A note that in the changes or extras installed in the -900, will also be developed into the -700 version as well, including the animated cabin fittings and lighting.

I find the CRJ-900 a more sweeter aircraft to fly than the -700, it climbs faster as well, and I think the extra length is a major bonus and not ungainly at all...  In other words I like it far more to fly than the CRJ-700. But my guess is that most users will purchase both aircraft anyway and enjoy not only the small differences, but the slightly different styles as well. As CRJ-700 customers can get the CRJ-900 for 30% off the CRJ-900 via a discount coupon.

What you you don't get a lot of extra or features like you do with say FlyJSim and others, but then again this is a sub-US$50 aircraft and in a lower category, and for what you do get here it is simply brilliant value. Current users already are devoted to the AD Simulation's CRJ Series, and this -900 version just adds into the fun...  Recommended.

X-Plane Store logo sm.jpg

Yes! the CRJ-900 by AD Simulations/Delta Wing is NOW available from the X-Plane.Org Store here :

CRJ-900

Price is US$49.95

Features
General Notes
  • Basic Systems are programmed based on CRJ-900 aircraft. In subsequent updates we are making systems deeper and adding new ones. CRJ real life pilots and few simulator enthusiasts are helping us to develop and make them work properly
  • Flight Control Panel knobs support fast scrolling via left mouse button press and hold and precise scrolling via mouse wheel scroll
  • All switches now support new manipulators with Above/Below click for UP/DOWN movement and mouse wheel scroll
  • Mode Control Panel SPEED and other modes simulate the real Autopilot modes on the CRJs. 
  • Implemented Electrical System
  • Circuit Breakers are all animated and ready to perform certain actions accordingly to their function in future updates
  • Tablet/EFB on Captain and FO sides
  • Functional Audio Control Panel with lit buttons and animations
  • Rectangular and  Arrows Flight Director Command Bars as an Options
Center Glareshield
  • All Center Glareshield Knobs and Pushbuttons animated and functional
Displays 
  • Displays are exceptionally crisp and with letters and symbols easily visible
PFD Primary Flight Display
  • Modeled and functioning exactly as real life counterpart
MFD Multifunction Display can display following modes
  • HSI The horizontal situation indicator shows the compass card with overlaid selectable navaids, bearing and course pointers
  • NAV SECTOR Navigation display with compass card and a background map. The navigation display shows course pointer and deviation bar. VOR bearing and DME distance information is shown
  • FMS MAP  Flight Management System Map shows the track and waypoints programmed in the CDU (Control Display Unit). FMS MAP shows the aircraft heading.
  • TCAS Traffic Alert and Collision Avoidance System investigates the air traffic control transponders of nearby airplanes and identifies and displays potential and predicted collision threats. 
  • FMS PLAN MAP shows programmed waypoints of the route. Shows north at the top of the display. Waypoints can be selected by using UP and DOWN arrows on CDU (Control Display Unit)
  • RADAR- to be implemented in future versions
  • EICAS (ENGINE INDICATION AND CREW ALERTING SYSTEM Displays. Following displays can be shown using ECP (EICAS CONTROL PANEL)
      • PRI
      • STAT
      • ECS
      • HYD
      • ELEC (AC and DC)
      • FUEL
      • F/CTL
      • A/ICE
      • DOORS
      • CAS (not implemented yet)
      • MENU = UP + DN
      • STEP
PopUp Displays (movable, scalable able to be dragged to multiple monitors) 
  • Tablet/EFB
  • Captain and FO PFD (Primary Flight Display)
  • Captain and FO MFD (Multi Function Display)
  • Primary EICAS
  • Secondary EICAS
  • Left and Right CDU (Control Display Unit)
Skunkcraft Updater
  • To be implemented in the future
Cockpit and Cabin Lighting
  • There is FULL lighting implemented, FLOOD, INTEGRATED and DISPLAYS with animated knobs and switches
  •  You can adjust the intensity of displays, panels and light in any combination you like
  •  In addition, CABIN LIGHTS and STAIR LIGHTS are also adjustable via corresponding switches in the back of the cockpit
  • STERILE Cockpit Light working (visible from inside the cabin when cockpit door is closed)
  • AD Simulations CRJ-900 Cabin is using the option called “Atmosphere”It provides Button to adjust DOOR ASSIST, CEILING, SIDEWALL and ENTRANCE Lights. Using combination of different lighting conditions creates different look
  • You can adjust Cabin and Stairs lights using Buttons on the right wall looking toward cabin
External Lighting
  • FULL external lighting is available via animated corresponding switches
  • Tablet/EFB and it's corresponding Pop Up
  • DOOR HANDLING
  • PASSENGERS LOAD
  • FUEL LOAD
  • SETTINGS (COLD AND DARK, READY TO TAXI, EXTERNAL POWER)
  • INFO (Loading Take Off Speeds, Landing Speeds and take Off Trim)
Sounds  FMOD Custom sounds are implemented using FMOD
  • Engine sounds
  • Cockpit sounds: Avionics, Gyro, Relays, Fans (Packs), Controls (Buttons/switches, levers)
  • Warning sounds: Take-off
  • GPWS (Too Low Terrain, Too Low Gear, Too Low Flaps, Terrain Caution, Bank angle, Sink rate, Don’t-sink, Pull Up)
  • Autopilot, Fire, Alerts
  • Cabin sounds: Galley, Cooling
  • Exterior sounds: Gear Roll/Touch, APU, GPU, Flaps, Hydraulic and Fuel Pumps, Wind drag, Packs
  • Weather sounds: Wind, Rain, Thunder, Wind Gust (on the ground only)
  • Cabin and Cockpit muffing effect caused by Cockpit Door closed/open
Flight Model
  • Flight model has been carefully adjusted to match the real life CRJ-900. Real life CRJ-200/700/900 pilots were involved in the process.
Realistic wing flex
  • Wing Flex has been modelled and adjusted for realistic aircraft behavior
FMS
  • FMS and it's Pop Up is customized as far as look but based on the Default X-Plane one. 
  • Note: Default XP FMC is based on the Collins FMS-4200 and CRJ is using that one, no Honeywell and Thales types.
3D Modeling and Textures
  • Almost all maps are 4K High Resolution
  • Exterior is modeled with all details existing in real aircraft.
  • Pilots are visible in external views and turn their heads slightly to ward camera view
  • Interior modeling has been made paying attention to details in the real life CRJ-900 cockpit.
  • Cabin and Stairs have adjustable lighting, see above
Liveries included in the package are listed below
  • Aegean Airlines, American Eagle, CRJ, Delta, Horizon, IBEX Ana, Lufthansa, Scandinavian 1, Scandinavian 2, Spirit
Unique Package Features
  • Stairs Rails can be raised and lowered (per customer request)
  • Cockpit shaders slide and rotate as you need them
  • All Windows Shades, Overhead Bins and Seat Trays are animated and functional
VR Compatibility
  • Package is VR compatible but future enhancements will be added 

Requirements
X-Plane 11
Windows, Mac or Linux
4 GB VRAM Minimum - 8 GB+ VRAM Recommended
Download Size: 1.1 GB
Current version: 1.0.1 (April 25th 2022)

CRJ-700 customers can get the CRJ-900 for 30% off. Please find the discount coupon in the original CRJ-700 invoice at the store

Installation
Download of the CRJ-900 is 1.07GB and it is installed in your Airliner Folder as a 1.57Gb folder. Activation is via the standard authentication Key. There is no Auto-updater by Skunkcrafts for updates, so currently you have to redownload any updates via the X-Plane.OrgStore.

Documents
Provided are two documents Included with the package. A "QuickStart" Manual that covers the aircraft's layouts and systems, and a "Checklist" with Normal Procedures. A version changelog is also provided.
  • CRJ-900 Changelog.txt
  • AD_Sim_CRJ_Checklist.pdf
  • CRJ-900_Quick_Start_Guide.pdf
  • CRJ-900 Changelog.txt

Aircraft Review by Stephen Dutton

28th April 2022

Copyright©2022: X-Plane Reviews

Review System Specifications: 

Computer System: Windows  -S1700 Core i7 12700K 12 Core 3.60 GHz CPU / 64bit -32 Gb single 1067 Mhz DDR4 2133 - ASUS GeForce GTX 1080 8Gb - Samsung Evo M2 2TB SSD - Sound : Yamaha Speakers YST-M200SP

Software:   - Windows 10 - X-Plane 11.55

Plugins: Global SFD plugin US$30.00 : Environment Engine by xEnviro US$69.90 : RK Apps XPRealistic v2 - US$34.99

Scenery or Aircraft

- EKCH - FlyTampa Copenhagen XP (X-Plane.OrgStore) - US$31.00

EGLL - Airport London-Heathrow by Aerosoft (X-Plane.OrgStore) - US$29.95

(Disclaimer. All images and text in this review are the work and property of X-PlaneReviews, no sharing or copy of the content is allowed without consent from the author as per copyright conditions) All Rights Reserved

Logo Header X-PlaneReviews 200px.jpg