NEWS! - Laminar Research releases v12.1.0

NEWS! - Laminar Research releases v12.1.0

X-Plane 12.1.0 Logo NEWS!.jpg

It felt like a long time coming, and I haven't used the X-Plane Updater since December 2023? But here is the next update for the X-Plane 12 Simulator, it has a new name code as well in v12.1.0, with an extra digit added for incremental updates (that should mean more updates? but I'm not hopeful, given Laminar's past track record). This is a "beta" release, and that comes with ongoing development.

The update list is extremely long (there are 354 bug fixes alone!), but the main feature areas are;

Anti-aliasing (AA): Improved quality with better scene handling and coverage for alpha-tested surfaces (those with transparency).

Depth of Field: More control with a setting for Real Camera Shake (RCAS) and a notification when textures are reduced due to memory limitations.

Lighting: Bloom Effects and overall a more focused sources of lighting.

Shadows: Smoother shadows overall, cloud shadows on water, and faster rendering times.

Lightning: v12.1.0 features more realistic visuals with subtle color adjustments, distance variations, and bolt thickness changes via distance. Sound effects have also been improved for a more immersive experience.

Particle Effects: The new system allows for particles on ground contact, easier editing with copy/paste, and datarefs for better control. Pre-built effects include jet engine afterburners (JATO), water bombing, ground scrapes, and rotor wash from helicopters. Aircraft configuration files (ACFs) let you disable these effects if desired.

G1000 navigation system: including an accurate startup splash screen, a NAV page, a stormscope, datalink weather support, Terrain, a WPT page, an AUX page, and new datarefs. 

Water: Fixed water clarity issues, with color and transparency depending on location. Cloud shadows are now visible on water surfaces. Compatibility note: existing X-Plane 11 water scenery packs may not work perfectly due to differences in water rendering and might require updates from the creators.

Autogen: Enhanced visuals for high-rise buildings in European cities and improved parking aircraft placement at airports, prioritizing larger planes for bigger spots.

Supported flap systems: allowing the accurate simulation of manual flap controls such as the one in the Piper PA-28, with precise and gradual adjustments, and the dial-a-flap system, which is present in some McDonnell-Douglas aircraft.

Early v12.1.0 images are simply breathtaking...

PXP12 v12.1.0 screenshot 6.jpgPXP12 v12.1.0 screenshot 1.jpgPXP12 v12.1.0 screenshot 3.jpgPXP12 v12.1.0 screenshot 2.jpgPXP12 v12.1.0 screenshot 4.jpg

Notable is the adjustable sharpness of the instruments...  a huge difference in quality!

PXP12 v12.1.0 screenshot 5.jpg

You can find the full ongoing v12.1.0 beta details here: X-Plane 12.1.0 Release Notes

To update v12.1.0, then just run the X-Plane Updater, it is a 5.3 GB update. Note that this a beta (beta tickbox is required to download the update). So expect more development as the v12.1.0 is consistently updated to the full v12.1.0 release.

Laminar 2022 sm Logo.jpg

X-Plane 12 is purchased directly from Laminar Research for US$79.95 and the download file size is 86 GB

X-Plane 12

Price is US$79.95

Minimum Requirements

Disk space: 25 GB

CPU: Intel Core i3, i5, i7, or i9 CPU with 4 or more cores, or AMD Ryzen 3, 5, 7 or 9

Memory: 8 GB RAM

Video Card: a Vulkan 1.3-capable video card from NVIDIA or AMD with at least 2 GB VRAM

Note: Intel GPUs are not supported by X-Plane 12

NEWS! by Stephen Dutton

15th May 2024

Copyright©2024: X-Plane Reviews

(Disclaimer. All images and text in this review are the work and property of X-PlaneReviews, no sharing or copy of the content is allowed without consent from the author as per copyright conditions) All Rights Reserved

Logo Header X-PlaneReviews 200px.jpg