Scenery Review: Genova COMPLETE 5 - The Revolution by Grifo Creations

1.jpg

Scenery Review: Genova COMPLETE 5 - The Revolution by Grifo Creations

Introduction
Having been rated as one of Italy’s most underrated cities, Genova has been an established maritime trade center for centuries, and its location on the Ligurian Sea, makes it a prominent maritime hub to transport products to northern Italy. It is also the birthplace of Christopher Columbus, the famous explorer who is credited with finding the North American continent on his way to finding a quicker route to India in which to compete with the East India trading company, the undisputed power of its day in transporting goods to Europe from India. Today, Genova serves as a maritime port city and Italy’s 6th most populous city. The airport is not the largest or the busiest, but is home to some beautiful approaches, including the RNP 28 with a banking right turn over the port to the runway, and the ILS 10, with its sweeping views of the city and low approach over another nearby port. Without further ado, let’s give this new scenery a go and see what it has to offer!

1.png2.png

3.png4.png

5.png6.png

First Impressions
The installation process was both simple and easy to do, with you only needing to extract the 5 folders containing the scenery to your custom scenery folder. At almost 6GB, this scenery takes up a considerable amount of hard drive space, but the scope of the area covered, rivals that of FlyTampa Las Vegas. A quick glance around presents a nicely modeled city and port, as well as a well-modeled airport terminal and buildings. A quick flight proved that even with all the custom objects, the scenery is not overly harsh on FPS, and is quite well optimized.

Note: thanks to not having my main PC for a couple more weeks, this was reviewed on my gaming laptop, which while powerful, is not sufficient to run XP11 at max settings without becoming a slideshow and unusable. With that said, the compromise is that there are no scenery shadows, parked aircraft, or uncompressed textures. Sorry for that in advance folks!

7.png8.png

9.png10.png

11.png12.png

Exploring the Scenery

Starting off with the terminal, it’s modeled to an acceptable standard level, being only let down a bit by the textures. Air-side the terminal features an interior with some interesting looking people, including one poor bloke who seems to be having a bit of trouble figuring out what kind of pop to get! Outside the airport, you can find an abundance of ships, boats, hundreds of custom buildings, and objects all building up the overall feel of the city and approach, and I must say it does look quite nice! The only complaint I have are the textures, but I will discuss this in the next section.

13.png14.png

15.png16.png

17.png18.png

Textures
When it comes to textures, there seems to be lots of variation in the overall quality and coloration, with some textures being quite sharp, and others very muddied. The airport itself has most textures in a good resolution, with a couple of exceptions, however, the city lacks a bit in texture quality in the buildings. This is not really noticed much on the approach and didn’t bother me at all, though I wouldn’t mind at all if they got a resolution boost! In terms of the static and moving people around the airport, I’m not sure what to think. I want to say they add to the feeling of life around the terminal, but then as soon as I look a bit harder the illusion falls off completely. I think that if they earned some faces, it would be a good improvement for their well-being! As for the ortho texture, for the most part, it is quite good, with some discoloration here and there. In all, the texture work could use some upgrades, but is a good starting point and won’t be overly obvious when flying to and from the airport.

19.png20.png

21.png22.png

23.png24.png

Lighting
The lighting around the airport and city is really a highlight of the entire scenery, with the night lighting being custom and bringing the entire scene to life after dark. Approaches with all the lights really bring another level to the scene and I really enjoy that!

25.png26.png

27.png28.png

29.png30.png

Conclusion
Genova Airport and city is a really good scenery for those who are looking for a good destination to fly to and want the full experience of the approach included. Though a little steeper on price at $32.00 US, it has a lot of value for the money and is from what I saw in my sim, ortho compatible with a few minor hitches in the city. I look forward to flying into Genova in its fullest when I get home in a few weeks, and it will be a great addition to my European destination list!

31.png32.png

33.png34.png

35.png36.png

58e35fab4d805_X-PlaneStorelogosm.jpg.f96d59262904b2f58d5a19f5b52d75b3.jpg

Genova COMPLETE 5 - The Revolution by Grifo Creations is now available from the X-Plane.Org Store here:

Genova COMPLETE 5 - The Revolution

Price at time of writing $32.00

Scenery Features

I want to thanks with the heart Marcogrifo for his lighthouse, the breakwater and cranes models (very high detailed and complicated models) and of course the entire UHD fair area with its helipad and many landmarks. Overall I thanks Marco for his UHD San Giorgio Bridge (former Morandi bridge).
243 square kilometer city of Genova, 850 square kilometers outback of Genova (mountains and coasts). And the international city airport Genova Cristoforo Colombo (LIMJ).
The city contains hand recoloured ground textures (50cm, 1m/pixels) and is filled of HD landmarks (hundreds of models), the outback contains the hand recoloured ground textures (50cm, 1m, 2m) and hand placed forests, for the buildings in outback, the scenery relies on X-Plane or third party autogen.
In the city there are 3D modeled residential areas (16.000 buildings). They have generic facades and real roofs (PBR material for the roofs).
The airport is very high detailed with all HD buildings and architectural complexes. Further there are custom ground services moving near the Terminal. Also in and out the Terminal there are moving (walking) people. I've rebuilded the Terminal that now is updated to the next 2023 year (in  real life there are currently works on expansion of the Terminal). In the Terminal there are five autogate jetways (Autogate by Marginal required). The Terminal and the control tower has partial generic prerendered interiors.
In the city and in the outback there is car traffic on the roads, the 3D modeled elevated roads and the San Giorgio bridge (former Morandi bridge).
In the city and in the airport there is a dedicated (optional) mesh (the default mesh modified to increase scenery quality - now the scenery features 3D docks in all the city and airport). The mesh is not compatible with Ortho4XP scenery.
In the Ancient Port (near the Galata Sea Museum), there is a submarine (Nazario Sauro S 518) ultra high detailed.
Photographic night environment.
In the city there are thousands of objects like cranes, containers, ships, boats, parked trucks, parked trains.
In the city there are also the flyover roads with interchanges (with traffic) and the Bridge San Giorgio (former Morandi bridge) with car traffic.
Sea from photoreal textures.
Helipads in the airport and in the fair (Eastern of the city).
High detailed APRON in airport area and realistic grass near the runway and taxiways.
Changing parked aircrafts in airport.
Moving X-Plane ground services in the airport.
Use of PBR materials for the ground textures at the airport and on the roofs of the buildings in the residential areas.
Static and moving people (with natural movements) in the airport area (especially in and out of the terminal).
Two good detailed railway stations.
Realistic and accurate ILS offset of 2 degrees.
The airport is been tested with World Traffic 3.0.
Extensive documentation for the airport (by ENAV) and the city (wikipedia). Plus some detailed maps of the parkings and helipads in the airport and in the city.

Requirements:

X-Plane 11.
4 GB RAM Minimum - 8Gb+ VRAM Recommended
Download size: 4.5 Gb
Current Version: 5.0 (May 9th 2022)

Scenery Review by Joshua Moore
12th May 2022
Copyright©2022: X-Plane Reviews
(Disclaimer. All images and text in this review are the work and property of X-PlaneReviews, no sharing or copy of the content is allowed
without consent from the author as per copyright conditions) 

587ee6e4e26a9_LogoHeaderX-PlaneReviews200px.jpg.6de88e831eeb704fa5525e0891976641.jpg

• Dominic Smith changed the title to Scenery Review: Genova COMPLETE 5 - The Revolution by Grifo Creations