News! - Development - Regional Jets from X-Crafts and SSG

News! - Development - X-Crafts and SSG

For a long time this decade then X-Crafts and SSG - Supercritical Simulation Group have been going head to head with their own E-Jet series. Both are worthy and both are very good aircraft for X-Plane, but if you follow a niche and then there are two of them then one developer is always going to come off worse, not only in development, but also in the division of the sales and cash. In the case of X-Crafts and SSG I think it was actually X-Plane that benefited because they seemed to spur each other on over higher and higher in quality and features, so would they go head to head again with their next projects?

The field of regional jets is of course quite small, with the main clash between Embraer (E-Jets) and bombardier (CRJ - Canadair Regional Jet). But that field has exploded with the introduction of the CSeries or now the Airbus A220, Russian Superjet 100 and the Japanese MRJ90 and Embraer has also redone the original E-Jet to the E2 series.

So that gives both X-Crafts and SSG a lot of choice? and certainly the CSeries/A220 would have been the obvious choice, but would both developers again clash with the same type of aircraft?

SSG announced their aircraft in the CRJ 700, which I think is a brilliant choice...

SSG CRJ 700 2.jpgSSG CRJ 700 1.jpg

The aircraft has been in development now for a fair while now and since 2017 (even earlier), but the XP11 E-Jet updates and also the B748i/F has broken up that development time. But the development has also to be starting to getting into the endgame..

SSG CRJ 700 6.jpegSSG CRJ 700 5.JPG

SSG CRJ 700 3.JPGSSG CRJ 700 4.JPG

I really love the JRollon CRJ-200, but it is now really showing it's age, the odd thing is that the really numerous CRJ versions out there are missing, the -200 is more niche than mainstream, but then again JRollon did the Jetstream 32 and not the more popular 41 so there is a pattern there. Not to forget the Dan Klaue CRJ-140 that has had more coming revivals than any aircraft, but Dan Klaue is just too busy to revisit it. So this CRJ-700 couldn't come at a better time for X-Plane and a few hints that the -900 or -1000 versions may come as well (my pick is the -900), and if it comes with the current SSG quality and systems then they are on to a real winner...  Will we see the CRJ-700 this year? my gut says yes, but not till Q4 in 2018.

X-Crafts

So would X-Crafts do the same again and do a CRJ in say the -900 or -1000? The answer we found out lately was no. As X-Crafts is staying with the ERJ Series, but with the earlier E135, E140 and the E145 versions and maybe even later the E145XR aircraft could be available as well.

ERJ_E140 1.jpgERJ_E140 2.jpgERJ_E140 3.jpgERJ_E140 5.jpg

ERJ_E140 4.jpg

In many ways both developers are still going head to head in the same aircraft genre, but thankfully with different manufacturers this time. The problem with X-Plane is that sometimes you get two (or even three) versions of the same aircraft but then the rest of the series is ignored, or you get the JRollon effect of the niche aircraft and not the mainstream. So only one or the odd one.

Thankfully both aircraft here of choice are the mainstream aircraft as well, so everyone wins and X-Plane users now have a lot to look forward to....  regional time!

Development Threads

SSG - CRJ-700: SSG CRJ-700 Progress Report

X-Crafts - ERJ Family : Embraer ERJ Family by X-CRAFTS

Images are courtesy of Supercritical Simulation Group and X-Crafts

News by Stephen Dutton

17th August 2018

Copyright©2018: X-Plane Reviews

Logo Header X-PlaneReviews 200px.jpg