Aircraft Review : Bombardier Challenger 300 by Dden Design

Stephen

bombardier_cl_300_header-700px.jpg

Aircraft Review : Bombardier Challenger 300 by Dden Design

Route - EGKB (Biggin Hill) to LFMN (Nice/Cote d’Azur)

Everyone has their idea of their ultimate status symbol. But nothing will compare with a personal jet. Even for Steve Job’s who came back to Apple in the later 1990’s and worked for a dollar a week still took the personal jet as in re-payment for putting the place back together. The bankers and car makers after the fall of the GFC realised they had to give everything up...  But losing those jets really hurt. If they had to give them up then they were very quickly back in the inventory as soon as the cash started flowing again, As they are the ultimate freedom, The goal, The “I really made it” statement.

So wouldn’t you like your very own personal Jet? Well X-Plane has a way of making your dreams come true, and here it is in the Bombardier Challenger 300.

Cl_300_Ramp 1.jpg  Cl_300_Ramp 2.jpg

Cl_300_Ramp 3.jpg  Cl_300_Ramp 4.jpg

As personal jets go this is a real beauty. But in more ways than one. Created by Dden the design work is flawless. I have a picture which is nearly a few years old now that is significant in that it is on my computer desk top.

Bombardier_Cl_300_30.jpg

I look at it every day, and it has two resonates with me. One, It shows how great X-Plane is and Two, It looks like a real aircraft picture and not an aircraft in an simulator. I have studied it and if any work can live up to the a perfect rendition of a design then it is very good...  If not the best in X-Plane.

But is the beauty just skin deep?

Thankfully no. The aircraft is a highly complex and fully featured driven machine.

Cl_300_Menu.jpg

Cl_300_PF1.jpg  Cl_300_PF2.jpg

Cl_300_PF3.jpg  Cl_300_PF4.jpg

You have a lot of menus and all accessed by the pop-out menu on your left side of the screen. In order -
Fast Start - Sets the aircraft up quickly and lets you fly straight away.
Exter Preflight - (Above) you start by pressing the buttons numbered 1 to 24 and it produces the different angles of checking around the aircraft, It also allows you to add or remove the storage flags, wheel chocks and engine covers. Want to start again? then you can by just pressing the “Start Again” point.
Cameras - Pre-set views inside the aircraft (useful before the current built in X-Plane version), views include Pilot, Co-Pilot, Cabin 1,2 & 3, Lavatory and Bagage (Baggage).

Cl_300_Anim1.jpg  Cl_300_Anim2.jpg

Animations - A useful set of tools that opens the aircraft main door, Baggage door, Emergency hatch, Blinds (internal), Entry blind/door (internal), Washroom door (internal), rear baggage door (internal), and tables (internal).

As my VIP’s are aboard it is easy with this menu to shut the door and baggage door without groping for a handle.

Cl_300_Instruments.jpg

Instruments - A menu to access different that instruments and displays on the panel of the aircraft.

Options - a menu that allows you to save your current position and status and adjust the volume of your sounds.

There is a very good pop-up “Checklist” menu as well and a more modern MCDU that is built in but not operable at this point.

Cl_300_Depart items engine start.jpg  Cl_300_Depart Engstart.jpg

Cl_300_Depart 1.jpg  Cl_300_Depart 2.jpg

Cl_300_Depart Cklist.jpg  Cl_300_Depart items 1.jpg

Cl_300_Depart items 2.jpg  Cl_300_Depart items 3.jpg

The checklist is easy to procedure in checking the items off, Starting the engines is turning on pumps, fuel supply and the ignition. Then turning a switch to the engine you want to start. You can sit it the pilots seat and hear the whine start up in the background, but that would be missing the experience. Go to the rear of the aircraft and wait while the engine management system starts the Honeywell HTF7000 turbofan. It is in full 3d sound and glorious it is. Start engine two and add to the noise of power and tremble at the thought of all that thrust waiting to be unleashed. It sounds good, really good this aircraft.

There is a very large list of items to check and solve before releasing the brakes and the Challenger has a great solving system that as you correct each item it disappears from the list in the engine (EICAS) display in the MFD (The EICAS display pops-out). once the list is completely clear the aircraft is ready for flight.

Pop off the brakes and set the flaps to 20º (lots of fuel and expensive luggage) and your into the taxi. I throughly recommend a throttle system for this aircraft... Totally a requirement.

Nudge the throttle and your moving and taxi is easy enough to complete your checklists and clean ups ready before flight without having to constantly having to adjust the speed, just a nudge of the brakes is usually enough.

Cl_300_Depart 3.jpg  Cl_300_Depart TO.jpg

Cl_300_Depart TO 2.jpg  Cl_300_Flight.jpg

Clearance and push up the power, there is no drift from the centre line and rotation is to 15º nose up. And up you go!

It climbs with all that power, 2500fpm minute is easy and you still have to watch the throttle in case it goes right up into the red zone.

Maximum speed: 891 km/h, m.83 (554 mph; 481 kn), Range: 5,741 km (3,567 mi; 3,100 nmi) at 0.78 Mach, Service ceiling: 13,716 m (45,000 ft), Rate of climb: 25.4 m/s (5,000 ft/min) at 17,622 kg (38,850 lb) max gross weight

It is fast this aircraft and the range may sound impressive, London to Dubai in one fuel load. But it does not work out that way. I found the range more in the 2500 - 2700 nmi range zone, and a refuel stopover (Rome) in going LON-DXB was always required. Flying Europe to Asia required two stop-overs and so did the West Coast of the USA.

The super-mid-sized jet project was launched at the Paris Air Show by Bombardier July 13, 1999, at which time it was called the Bombardier Continental. It was a “clean sheet” design and to be assembled in Bombardier’s Learjet plant at Wichita Mid-Continent airport, Kansas. The jet was renamed in September 2002 to the Challenger 300 after much debate about which category (Learjet, Challenger, or Global) the new aircraft would fit into, The C300  entered commercial service in January 2004. To date 400 have been built and will cost your around US$20 million, Second-hand you can pickup a very nice one for around 12million. (Yes I checked in case I won the lotto!)

On May 20, 2013 Bombardier announced the Challenger 350, an improved version of the 300, and promised to begin deliveries in May 2014 at a price of $25.9 million. The Challenger 350 first flew on March 2, 2013.

Cl_300_Flight Close 1.jpg  Cl_300_Flight 2.jpg

Cl_300_Flight 3.jpg  Cl_300_Flight 5.jpg

Cl_300_Flight Close 3.jpg  Cl_300_Flight Close 4.jpg

Cl_300_Flight 6.jpg  Cl_300_Flight Close 2.jpg

Once cleared of the London Area I was going to pick up my "Stansted - Nice" route just over the channel. Climb continued at 2500ft fpm to 28,000ft and you got to that height and speed in no time.

Cl_300_Cockpit.jpg  Cl_300_Pedestal.jpg

Cl_300_AP.jpg  Cl_300_Pilots.jpg

The layout on the panel is quite different from most cockpit layouts. There is no overhead panel so the item usually on there are on the centre pedestal (lights, Air, Fuel and bleed) There are four Main Display Panels (MFD) that are two for the Pilot and two for the Co-Pilot and are switchable. The right one is the standard artificial-horizon and speed, V/S and height tapes with the MAP/Rose set out below. Your selection of A/P, G/S, 1/2bank and other important situation aware items are in a line above the Art-Horizon The left is the engine displays (checklist) EICAS at the top and a selection of displays from the menu at the bottom.

Cl_300_Displays.jpg  Cl_300_Displays info.jpg

Cl_300_in-Flight VOR2.jpg

Displays are : Anti-Ice, ECS, Electrical, Flight Controls, Fuel and Hydraulics, there is also a standard “Summary” display that gives you an overview of the systems. I usually put the rose on the lower part of this second panel because it shows the VOR1 and VOR2 information, that is missing on the left panel (MFD), Oddly I think it is on the panel but I can never find the setting, I did once but then I lost it again and usually spend 60% of any flight trying to get it back Again?

Cl_300_Glareshield.jpg  Cl_300_in-Flight Vrfs.jpg

The glare-shield instruments are complex beasts, easy to mix up and you need to do a quick look over the manual every time you use them. Even just setting the Radio freq is a task that can take a few moments. 1/2 Bank limits your banking angle and is well worth using.

Take-off and landing refs. are displayed and so is the FMS1, VOR1/VOR2 settings on the right MFD, the MAP displays the waypoints but at a size that is to small and they are a guide really more than for actual reading.

The layout is though and as mentioned slightly complex and it will take a little time to be really comfortable with every switch and knob.

_____________________________________________________________________________________

Cl_300_Cabin 1.jpg  Cl_300_Cabin 2.jpg

Cl_300_Cabin vanity.jpg  Cl_300_Cabin front.jpg

Cl_300_Cabin Blinds 1.jpg  Cl_300_Cabin Blinds 2.jpg

Cl_300_Cabin wing.jpg

The main cabin is luxurious beyond belief, with highly polished wood grain and white leather chairs. All the tables fold out (on the animations menu) and you have access to the rear vanity unit (one wonderful sliding down door) and another animated door that accesses the baggage compartment and clothes rack. Open and close the window blinds that show both sides in or out of the aircraft and the view from the windows are as good as anything anywhere. I will spend as much time back here as in the drivers seat and a replay to watch a landing is always a great idea sitting in luxury. Opening the front door blind will also drop the stairs.

Cl_300_Livery White.jpgCl_300_Livery HB-JFD.jpgCl_300_Livery M-CLAB.jpgCl_300_Livery N101UD.jpg

Cl_300_Livery N130CH.jpgCl_300_Livery N508FX.jpgCl_300_Livery OE-HPZ default.jpgCl_300_Livery C-GJCV.jpg

There are eight HD (Hi-Definition) liveries with one white paint, The C-GJCV is my favorite and the default is the OE-HPZ with its crazy red lineage of which I don’t really like as it looks like in places that the livery is on incorrectly.

Cl_300_Livery NASA.jpgCl_300_Livery CG.jpgCl_300_Livery POTUS.jpgCl_300_Livery SAS.jpg

There is a full series of liveries on the .org for the C300 : Challenger 300 Liveries and Walterbenny has done a large series of Canadian Army and Airforce liveries that are worthy of your attention. Walterbenny

Cl_300_Flight OS 1 N.jpg  Cl_300_Flight OS 2 N.jpg

Cl_300_Flight Cabin N.jpg  Cl_300_Flight Panel N.jpg

Night-lighting is very good with HDR on. Wing-lighting (Ice!) landing lights (two), tail-lighting, cabin on/off and adjustable panel lighting. The glow from the MFD screens are wonderfully reflected under the glare-shield. Only odd moment is with HDR off?

Cl_300_Flight OS HDR off 2 N.jpg

The aircraft become lucent and looks odd in the dark sky?

Cl_300_in-Flight 1.jpg  Cl_300_in-Flight 2.jpg

Cl_300_in-Flight 3.jpg

In Flight and Landing
There is no auto/throttle on the C300, so you are the soul auto/setter of the power. A throttle system is really invaluable here because the aircraft needs minute adjustments to keep the speed under control, a nice safe point can be found but any changes to height or weather will move your attention to finding that sweet spot all over again.

Powering up to your height and the handling in flight is very good but the workload builds when you get closer to landing. The C300 is not an easy aircraft to land and it requires a little practice to get really right.

Cl_300_in-Flight Arm.jpg  Cl_300_in-Flight Airbrakes.jpg

Cl_300_in-Flight Flaps.jpg

You will find that when it is time to descend you need a lot of space between you and your intended runway. Throttle back and start your descent and the speed will be hard to contain, you have two options a long and slow descent or normal with the use of the effective air-brakes or a combination of both, just note that as you get lower to balance the power and not drop off all the speed. You arm the air-brakes for landing by a switch in either “Auto” or “Manual” mode. Dropping the flaps will mean a very good balance of speed and power (those throttle levers if you have them). The aircraft has a tendency to be a little unstable at low speeds and a low speed is what you require for a slow landing. 140kts is your aim under full flap with 115-120knts under the glideslope or landing.

Cl_300_in-Flight Final 2.jpg  Cl_300_in-Flight Final.jpg

Cl_300_in-Flight Thrust Rev.jpg  Cl_300_in-Flight Thrust Rev 2.jpg

The point of getting the approach right is crucial as the aircraft can get very flat in response if you don’t. But get the speed right (and as low as you can without any stall) and you can kiss the runway. Activate those huge (very effective) thrust-reversers and the aircraft will soon be down to a 10knt roll.

Cl_300_Nice Taxi.jpg  Cl_300_Nice doors 2.jpg

Cl_300_Nice doors.jpg  Cl_300_Nice Tags.jpg

Taxi in and clean the aircraft up, (Twin taxi lights on the nose gear) and park-up, Let down the doors and unload the expensive luggage... The VIP”s are loaded into a couple of Black Mercedes and you are soon left alone with the Challenger 300. Notes taken and the aircraft is shut right down and all the tags and covers are set to protect your expensive investment.

Conclusions
The debate here is not with the aircraft. As a piece of workmanship the Challenger is as close to perfection as you can get, The detailing and the skins of this aircraft are simply sublime. Nothing comes close and remember it has been released for a few years now as I have had for two years. It is 64bit upgraded and so also flies fine in the latest X-Plane10 versions (Current 10.22). I would love Dden to finish off that hidden MCDU as it would be icing on the cake and as these MCDU’s are now quite commonplace than when the aircraft was released.

No the debate is that is the Challenger the best aircraft in X-Plane at this price, The Carenado aircraft have closed the game since the Challenger has been released in quality and are priced around the same sub-US$30 market.

I personally think the Challenger 300 is still the best value in X-Plane you can get at this price and still holding its own a few years after it was released. If fact it feels like it was released only yesterday and has certainly not aged one bit. That is of course due to the skill and design of Dden in this sublime machine. For us the dream of owning your own personal jet and operating it can certainly be rewarded with the Challenger 300. Nearly two years on after I purchased it I still give it a touch in admiration after every flight and declare...  “I really made it!”

_____________________________________________________________________________________

The Bombardier Challenger 300 Captain Edition is available now from the X-Plane.org Store :

Bombardier Challenger 300 Captain Edition

Price is US$29.95

Technical Requirements:
Windows, MAC or Linux
512Mb VRAM

X-Plane 9 or X-Plane 10 fully updated- 32 and 64 bit compatible

updated store#

Documents : Two Manuals with one being a “Quickflight” Guide

Download: 254.60mb

Developer Site : None (support is here Bombardier Challenger 300)

Review By Stephen Dutton
21st September 2013
Copyright©2016: X-PlaneReviews

Review System Specifications:
Computer System:     
- 2.66 Ghz Intel Core i5 iMac 27”
- 6 Gb 1067 Mhz DDR3
- ATI Radeon HD 4850 512mb
Software:     
- Mac OS MountainLion 10.8.2
- X-Plane 10 Global ver 10.22 (final)
- ExtremeSceneryMAXX
- Aerosoft - LFMN Nice Cote d Azur X
Addons
- Saitek x52 Pro system Joystick and Throttle

Logo Header X-PlaneReviews 200px.jpg

Great review. Is there a version number for this Captain's release? And if so, where would I check my copy? Thanks

The support page for the Challenger 300 is here : Bombardier Challenger 300 - X-Plane, Dden only updated the plug-in for 64bit (SASL) and it is not really noted as a version number..  just known as the 64bit upgrade and available here : SASL 64-bit plugin update for x-plane 10.20 (all platforms)

.   SD

After reading several opinions and the review, I believe that is an outstanding add-on, nevertheless, an aircraft like that, deserves a good FMS. When I say “good”, I mean “really good”, including VNAV capability.

As a real life ATPL, I cannot imagine such a machine flying VOR to VOR. It doesn't make sense (for me, of course).

I also have FSX and I wouldn't have PMDG B738/9 NGX, if it hadn't a good FMC.

If that improvement occurs, I'll buy the Challenger 300 immediately.

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...

It is a great plane. But how can I change the standart livery to the C-GJCV Livery. I tried it over the Plane-Maker and over replacing the files but nothing works. I am despairing :( . I hope one of you can help me, please :)

Well your looking in the wrong place?   The default flies are in the Challenger 300 main objects folder...  They are are "text_1.png" for the fuselage and "text_2.png" for the wings and tail.  Just swap them over with the same as the C-GJCV versions (make sure you keep the default ones) There is the "text_1_LIT.png" and ""text_2_LIT.png" files to replace as well... :)   SD

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I have to say this is the second best plane (after the 777) available on XPlane

I have to say this is the second best plane (after the 777) available on XPlane hAVE YOU TRY the NEO 320 ?

Hello, I just would like to share with you my experience with the Challenger 300, the author did a prety good work, still it needs a lot of improvements.

These are one of the things I have experienced.

I noticed it eats FPS so much more comparing to the high detailed Airbus NEO 320 which is the best plane so far in my opinion for xplane10, which it needs few improvements also and I will talk about it later on the NEO 320 section.

Anyway one thing that really bothers me a lot is the rain effect on the windshield of the Challenger 300, I mean it really bothers me it is so unreal.

It really needs to be fixed in my opinion the drops are huge, they need more transparency and they need a real more fluent and variable transition when the drops are displayed in the windshield try to get something like Airbus NEO 320 did, Anyway if there is a way can help the author please contact me directly.

I noticed that the cabin is too dark and it needs more improvements in the cabin lights they should be a little more stronger and reflecting.

Flying it. OK one thing I liked is that it worked wit the Prof light system and multipanel.

Now the plane handles weird when landing, it keeps the high speed even when my throttles are almost down to zero.

Also I notice that using the flaps in few flights when i was landing it actually increase my speed and it was so difficult to put the plane on the ground.

If you try to have an approach with this plane and get it from 200 to 140 it is hard to decrease the speed, I used full spoilers, full flaps and throttle pretty much in minimum and it was very hard landings autopilot was off and it was all manual.

The

I would work on the textures and the lights of the cabin to make it a little bit more realistic.

The rest is was a fun airplane.

• 1 month later...
  • 10 months later...

I thought my money was well spent with this product.  It's such a beautiful airplane I just stare at it parked on the ramp. Still learning to fly it but it's worth the patience. I know others will want more with no not complaints from me.  They will help a great product get even better.  Great job!!!

7 hours ago, Guest said:

I thought my money was well spent with this product.  It's such a beautiful airplane I just stare at it parked on the ramp. Still learning to fly it but it's worth the patience. I know others will want more with no not complaints from me.  They will help a great product get even better.  Great job!!!

Yes lovely isn't it and DDen is bringing us next the amazing new Bombardier Global 6000, can't wait for that beauty. SD

Guest Dunktip

I just love this aircraft... Yes, you have to fly it but it keeps things interesting.  The whole handling from ground to air is exceptional.  Agree that the cockpit could be brightened a little but you can't have everything.. Well worth a buy..