Scenery Updated to XP11 : LOWI - Innsbruck Airport by JustSim

Scenery Updated to XP11 : LOWI - Innsbruck Airport by JustSim

Last August 2016 X-PlaneReviews announced the release of JustSim's LOWI - Innsbruck Airport for X-Plane (Ten). Now only just a few weeks into 2017 the developer has updated the scenery and added in some X-Plane11 features and compatibility.

LOWI - XP11 - Head LG.jpg

The original X-Plane release scenery for LOWI - Innsbruck by JustSim was very good, but what just six months can do in changes is staggering.

LOWI - XP11 - Overview 1.jpgLOWI - XP11 - Overview 2.jpg

LOWI - XP11 - Overview 3.jpgLOWI - XP11 - Overview 4.jpg

Set in a deep valley in the Austrian Tyrol region, Austria, Innsbruck is a tough airport to fly in or out of. One the mountains create a barrier and worse bad vortexes that make any arrival or departure an adventure.

X-Plane11 Autogen

Outwardly the scenery looks the same as the original release and actually the basics are not changed, but the biggest immediate visual change is in the switch like at LEMN - Nice (the first converted X-Plane11 scenery from JustSim) to the X-Plane11 feature of regional housing. In the original release in X-Plane10 JustSim used a package of OSM(OpenStreetMap) 3d object scenery to make the city of Innsbruck.

LOWI - XP11 - OSM XP10 1.jpgLOWI - XP11 - OSM XP10 2.jpg

(X-Plane10 OSM)

Personally I hated it, as OSM 3d scenery is very heavy on the download (here 1.3gb) and it all has a big impact on your frame-rate. It doesn't quite look right either which I think it is out of scale and has some very bright basic textures. But it is my personal choice here.

But it was all we had and for running this scenery in X-Plane10, and it is still available to use with that version of this LOWI scenery.

LOWI - XP11 - OSM XP11 1.jpgLOWI - XP11 - OSM XP11 2.jpg

(X-Plane11 regional autogen)

JustSim for X-Plane11 has reverted to the default regional autogen feature and this is a far better installation and with no frame-rate hit except for the amount of the X-Plane objects in the setting that you would usually use.

The difference is striking and extremely visually satisfying and shows how really great X-Plane11 will become with its autogen when these regional packages become a standard issue, for now the German package does fit in well here with Austria.

LOWI - Innsbruck Airport

LOWI - XP11 - Airport 1.jpgLOWI - XP11 - Airport 3.jpg

LOWI - XP11 - Airport 6.jpgLOWI - XP11 - Airport 2.jpg

The airport is very well modeled and not that changed from the original version, but I find in XP11 that the ground texture are a bit bright. Otherwise the airport and it's buildings are perfect.

LOWI - XP11 - Airport 4.jpgLOWI - XP11 - Airport 5.jpg

One key difference in this X-Plane11 version is the use of the reflections feature.

LOWI - XP11 - Reflections 1.jpgLOWI - XP11 - Reflections 2.jpg

LOWI - XP11 - Reflections 3.jpgLOWI - XP11 - Reflections 4.jpg

Like with the recently updated LEMN - Nice is that all the glass and windows now reflect (mirror), and the differences are excellent, look at the control tower glass for the realism this reflection feature now brings to the simulator. The effects are even better here at LOWI than at LEMN because of the different glass perspectives.

LOWI - XP11 - Airport Night 1.jpgLOWI - XP11 - Airport Night 2.jpg

LOWI - XP11 - Airport Night 3.jpgLOWI - XP11 - Airport Night 4.jpg

Night lighting was exceptional in the release version and just as good here with great picture textures to highlight the internal parts of the buildings, note the great strip lighting on the bottom-right image. The ramps however are good but a bit dark in the twilight and dark, a bit more power and throw would have been nice.

LOWI - XP11 - Airport Night 5 LG.jpg

LOWI lighting overall is first rate, it all works from the traffic lighting to the new autogen night textures and the airport layout...   just perfect.

Grass

The 3d Alpine grass on the airfield has been completely redone for this version, and a great job it it is as well, as the grass is highly realistic and even pickable for the dinner table.

LOWI - XP11 - Grass 1.jpgLOWI - XP11 - Grass 2.jpg

Runway Reflections

Another X-Plane11 feature is runway reflections, or rain.

LOWI - XP11 - RWY Reflt 1.jpgLOWI - XP11 - RWY Reflt 2.jpg

The feature does work here at LOWI, but you have to have the almost exact correct conditions to see the effects. But it a great feel visually when it does.

Static Aircraft

With X-Plane11 you have a lot of options now to use the default built in "static" aircraft feature. The JustSim LOWI ground routes are set up ready to use this feature.

LOWI - XP11 - Animations.jpgLOWI - XP11 - Animations 2.jpg

Myself personally feels that it needs still a bit more work to be completely feasible. It would be a long ride home to say Toronto or Boston on a Canadian A320 or Delta MD-80 from Innsbruck, so they look very out of place here? And with the odd A.I. aircraft will suddenly go slightly mad on the infield is distracting.

My choice is still WorldTraffic for regional awareness and timetabled flights. From sparse mid-day to busy afternoon rush hour the plugin delivers great traffic (Set up ground routes and routes can be found below).

LOWI - XP11 - Animations 3.jpgLOWI - XP11 - Animations 4.jpg

JustSim provides some great airport animations and parking marshalls. You don't need the over dynamic built in X-Plane ground services yet as this is perfect.

Two items worth noting are:

Tower View is a mess! Come on people how hard can it be to adjust the tower view and above the building to see the runways? It is happening far too often lately on payware scenery?

LOWI - XP11 - Tower view.jpg

Another item is as that Innsbruck is very Alpine and deep into the Alps, and so the chances of snow here is very high.  This year I have used the winter textures quite extensively and provided "Winter Textures" with the scenery would be a very nice option here.

LOWI - XP11 - Winter 2.jpgLOWI - XP11 - Winter 1.jpg

With "Winter Textures" running it is big hole around LOWI that needs filling?  Now X-Plane11 with the addition of the X-Enviro plugin is now creating some really dynamic feel vistas...

LOWI - XP11 - Winter 3.jpgLOWI - XP11 - Winter 5.jpg

LOWI - XP11 - Winter 6.jpgLOWI - XP11 - Winter 4.jpg

...     and how great would it be to use this scenery with the actual snow covered textures!

Summary

This LOWI - Innsbruck Airport scenery is excellent from JustSim, certainly almost perfect in X-Plane11, where as suddenly X-Plane10 already feels old. But LOWI will still run in that scenery if the needs be.

I do to a point recommend this updated scenery for X-Plane11 more than X-Plane10, It is fine of course, but the earlier version loads and looks slightly better in that version and the scenery is not recommended for earlier X-Plane versions than v10.50.

The original release in the middle of 2016 was very good, but the developments and the features that X-Plane11 provides moves the game along quite significantly, and here all the above new added features show off those features well. It is only six months but with X-Plane11 and its features and the new xEnviro plugin you feel light years away from that moment and the same scenery,

The reversion to autogen from osm3d objects has the biggest impact here not too mention your lighter frame-rate, but glass reflections are a huge benefit as well for realism, as is the highly realistic grass. Ramp lighting could be brighter and a tower view would help, but otherwise this scenery is close to perfect.

As with JustSim's LFMN-Nice there is a token US$5 upgrade fee to this X-Plane11 version, so check your original LOWI  invoice at the X-Plane.OrgStore. and the discount code will be listed in your account on there...  it is cup of coffee folks, and it is well worth missing one cup for what you get here.

X-Plane Store logo sm.jpg

The LOWI - Innsbruck Airport XP11 by JustSim is NOW available! from the X-Plane.Org Store here :

LOWI - Innsbruck Airport XP11

Price is US$18.00

Note: Previous owners of JustSim's LOWI Innsbruck  can buy this new XP11 version for only $5: So check your original LOWI  invoice at the X-Plane.OrgStore. the discount code will be listed there in your account.

Features
  • New version with support for X-Plane 11 (X-Plane 10 still supported)
  • Compatible with X-Plane 11 ground service
  • Compatible with X-Plane 11 reflections
  • Very detailed rendition of Innsbruck Airport
  • Volumetric ground effect textures
  • New 3D grass
  • Custom runway , taxiway and airport lights
  • Shading and occlusion (texture baking) effects on terminal and other airport buildings
  • High resolution photo scenery 
  • High resolution ground textures / Custom runway textures
  • High resolution building textures
  • Runway reflection effect
  • Animated  Marshallers. (AutoGate plugin by Marginal)
  • Animated custom ground vehicles. (GroundTraffic plugin by Marginal)
  • World Traffic compatible - X-Life traffic compatible
  • Optimized for excellent performance

Requirements:

X-Plane 11+ or X-Plane 10.50+ 
Windows, Mac, Linux - 1.5Gb HD Space Available (download size 1.1Gb)
2GbVRAM Video Card. 3Gb+ VRAM Recommended

WorldTraffic ground routes and routes package by letecxplm are available here on the X-Plane.Org: GroundRoutes_LOWI_JustSim 1.0

Stephen Dutton

25th January 2017

Copyright©X-Plane Reviews: X-PlaneReviews 2017

Review System Specifications:

Computer System: Windows  - Intel Core i7 6700K CPU 4.00GHz / 64bit - 16 Gb single 1067 Mhz DDR4 2133 - GeForce GTX 980/SSE2 - Samsung Evo 512gb SSD 

Software:  - Windows 10 - X-Plane 11beta8 / Checked install in X-Plane10.51

Addons: Saitek x52 Pro system Joystick and Throttle : Sound - Bose  Soundlink Mini : Headshake by SimCoders

Plugins: : Environment Engine by xEnviro US$69.90 : WorldTraffic US$29.95

Logo Header X-PlaneReviews 200px.jpg

• 7 months later...

Hi Stephen.

I'm a fairly new X-Plane user and I've taken it a step further with the Oculus Rift headset...the best 3D experience ever, using the Flyinside app.

The reason for my post on the site and topic is, the LOWI Innsbruck airport is just my favorite place to be. So I purchased and downloaded the scenery app from the X-Plane store. As simple as it sounded to install, I've clearly screwed something up. It says it was for XP10 but I'm using XP11.

Now I can't even get the airport to come up at all. Perhaps something went wrong with my file order in Custom Scenery/Scenery Pack.ini iteration.

I tried using my installation disk to reload the LOWI component but that hasn't been successful either. Now I'm just frustrated that I can't even use it.

Is there anything you can suggest or provide...like what exactly needs to be in the file structure and how the Custom Scenery/Scenery Pack.ini folder should look like?? The Innsbruck installation seemed simple enough, but maybe it's an XP10 to XP11 issue. It should work.

Now I just want to get it back to where it was when I installed it...to work at all. Just not knowing is a real drag.

What can you suggest on how to do this to get the Innsbruck XP11 up and running??

I also purchased the Night Xp Switzerland scenery pack and not getting that to work either.

Gotta be something or some way to get these two packs up and running.

Please HELP!

I really would appreciate it.

Regards,

Steve  

You should be able to go to your X-Plane.OrgStore account and download the XP11 version, because it should be on there? Just make sure you don't have a double wrapper in that the scenery is in a folder within a folder before inserting it into the custom folder, it is an easy mistake... 

But I think the cause is that X-Plane uses LOWI as a default airport? Check your custom folder for "LOWI Demo Area" and either pull it out or make sure it is below your Payware scenery in the ini order, it could be nulling it out....  SD

• 1 year later...
On 8/24/2019 at 7:36 AM, Goalieno1 said:

Should i delete LOWI demo area

No, as because every time X-Plane is updated it replaces it... just make sure the JustSim version is above it in the INI order. However if it is persistent you might have to remove it, but my version doesn't do that, however I have a YMML - Melbourne in the global airports that just won't go away, so I have to consistently dig it out and remove it.

• 1 month later...