X-Plane11 - First Conversions Challenger 300 and CRJ-200

Stephen

First Conversions Header.jpg

X-Plane11 - First Conversions Challenger 300 and CRJ-200

This article is a quick look at the first payware aircraft to be adjusted for X-Plane11, they are the Challenger 300 by Ddenn and the CRJ-200 by JROLLON.

Adjusted is the word here, and to also note that this article is based on the X-Plane11 beta version v1.0 so it a lot will change with a few more updates from Laminar and expect more changes to any aircraft being released as updated to X-Plane11, certainly this year.

In most cases this article is out of date before it hits the site, but it does show what to expect from X-Plane11 as we transfer over our aircraft from X-Plane10 to the newer X-Plane11. No doubt most developers will want to make their aircraft X-Plane11 compliant as quickly as possible, but you can go too fast before the simulator is really sorted at best.

There are two approaches as shown here with the Ddenn (Challenger 300) approach in just issuing a quick "patch" to which you replace the various components within the aircraft's main file folders. The other approach with JROLLON (CRJ-200) is to do a full download of the entire aircraft package and both systems have their bonuses and negatives.

Challenger 300 by Ddenn

Ddenn is always very fast to issue updates whenever any changes to X-Plane versions and updates appear, and he didn't disappoint here either.

He posted a quick compatibility "patch" (cl300_xp11_comp_patch_1_0.zip) that has to be distributed within the main root folder of the aircraft to the various folders that require the changes. The changes include:

-Removed default sounds
-Removed old style GPS and FMC
-Added XP11 FMC
-Added clickzones to 3d cockpit for new FMC
-Fixed APU not working when "Start with engines running" option is selected
-Fixed half-transparent ADI
-LIT textures of the salon made brighter
-Fixed Fast Start function
-Fixed landing gear animation
-Generated new style icons for default liveries

That list includes a few surprises, but also notes what is required to be X-Plane11 compliant.

The change to X-Plane11 hits on a few different areas. One it affects the landing gear (and doors), transparency (more notable here because the Challenger 300 uses a 3rd party transparency plugin), certain textures are affected, different sound system, lighting, and the new style icons for that wizz-bang new interface and all those items are on the surface, as underneath there is a small list of items to comply to that are hidden in the aircraft (.acf) file.

A note is required here in that I really doubt that any aircraft that is compliant to the new X-Plane11 standards will be able to be used in X-Plane10, and in fact as the download shows for the CRJ-200 there are now two files to choose from in a X-Plane10 version and an X-Plane11 version, that will either double your downloads or if your need to chose one simulator version over the other.

Bombardier_Cl_300_XP11_1.jpgBombardier_Cl_300_XP11_2.jpg

Bombardier_Cl_300_XP11_3.jpgBombardier_Cl_300_XP11_4.jpg

We are used to the glossy exterior of the Challenger 300 because of the built-in transparency plugin, but it is noted the plugin has been dialed down a little, what is very evident is the sharp dramatic contrast of the lighting in X-Plane11 and that is even more highlighted by the high gamma (bright) background. Internally the changes are even more dramatic.

Bombardier_Cl_300_XP11_ Cockpit 1.jpgBombardier_Cl_300_XP11_ Cockpit 2.jpg

A lot of the Challenger's panels are now very glossy and there is a very greyed or darkened out appearance to many of the areas, the striking lighting is very poor in resolution, so it is good effect, but spoiled by the poor resolution of the reflective areas and this is especially evident from the side views across the cabin. So overall the changes within the aircraft look quite different (again I will note that this is really far to early to say this is what X-Plane11 will be finally like, but to just note the areas that are affected). But many areas that should be only textured are in fact shiny and they don't look realistic, and yet in other aircraft I have tried in X-Plane11 like my Carenado Bonanza the same textures look amazing even at this early stage.

With the plugin installed the corrected liveries do show, but if like me you have a large collection of 3rd party liveries for the C300 then you just get the ? mark instead of the visual livery.

The biggest quick change to the Challenger is the insertion of the new default FMS (Flight Management System)...

Bombardier_Cl_300_XP11_FMC 1.jpgBombardier_Cl_300_XP11_FMC 2.jpg

It is first to be noted on this default FMS is that it is just a GPS navigator. There are no aircraft preferences of that particular aircraft that this FMS is installed in (except for CLB, CRZ & DES speeds/altitudes) and it uses the same standard X-Plane navigational data that is installed for the current GNS340/350 GPS.

Otherwise it is a quite powerful system with SID/STAR, RNAV and Air Routes built-in with DIR (Direct-To) functionality as well.

One big bonus now is that you can use the local map on the same screen as the FMS pop-out panel. This helps in quickly locating fixes (waypoints) and inserting them quickly into the FMS flightplan and building up your route very easily.

Bombardier_Cl_300_XP11_FMC 3.jpgBombardier_Cl_300_XP11_FMC 4.jpg

A nice point is that hard turns (say 90º to approaches) are rendered correctly for the turn and the FMS looks far better on the navigation display as the route is fully outlined.

Bombardier_Cl_300_XP11_FMC 6.jpg

This was of course just a quick patch to get the Challenger 300 flying in X-Plane11 and it highlights the changes and features that have come with X-Plane11 and like with the quick insertion of the new default FMS on how quickly things will move forward with other aircraft.

Bombardier_Cl_300_XP11_FMC 5.jpg

logo logo sm.jpg

The Bombardier Challenger 300 Captain Edition is available from the X-Plane.org Store :

Bombardier Challenger 300 Captain Edition

Price is US$29.95

Use the link to the patch (cl300_xp11_comp_patch_1_0.zip) to update the aircraft to X-Plane11. I also recommend in duplicating an aircraft for just X-Plane11 in the X-Plane11 aircraft folder.

_____________________________________________________________________________________

CRJ-200 by JROLLON

The Bombardier CRJ-200 by JROLLON is one of the truly great aircraft in X-Plane. Originally released in January 2012, the JRollon CRJ-200 was a landmark release for the X-Plane simulator and it still is a great aircraft, and more so since BSS created a brilliant sound package for the aircraft.

But lately upgrades for the CRJ-200 have been a little slow on the ground, and so it was a bit of a surprise that the CRJ-200 was one of the very first aircraft to be updated for X-Plane11, or is it a big surprise?  It is noted that J Rollon is a developer that does create some of the default aircraft that goes with the Laminar Research package, so in some ways J Rollon had an inside feel to the needs of X-Plane11.

There is both now a download for either X-Plane10 and X-Plane11 so make sure the correct version goes into the correct X-Plane Application.

There is another point that window's users have to install a new Visual C++ Redistributable, this is included in the download of the CRJ-200.

CRJ-200 Visual C++ Redistributable.jpg

The changes are small but interesting

The X-Plane 10 update contains:
-all previosusly released separate patches and hotfixes, e.g. for flying on IVAO network, high resolution cockpit, autopilot stability fix, etc...
-new plugin architecture from the Steam version, which is more fps friendly and has lower memory footprint
-plugin compatibility with newer MacOS systems
-navdata update to X-Plane 10 default (1601)

The X-Plane 11 update contains:
-everything listed above for the X-Plane 10 update, plus
-new cockpit object with materials, to achieve realistic effects in X-Plane 11 with PBR
-new cockpit textures to match XP11 materials
-mouse-wheel manipulators added to the cockpit

CRJ200_X-Plane11 head 1.jpgCRJ200_X-Plane11 head 2.jpg

CRJ200_X-Plane11 head 3.jpgCRJ200_X-Plane11 head 4.jpg

Straight out of the box the CRJ-200 feels far more complete and at home in X-Plane11 than the Challenger 300. In other words it felt normal.

CRJ200_X-Plane11 head 5 LG.jpg

The dramatic lighting only enhances the great look of the aircraft in flight.

CRJ200_X-Plane11 Panel 1.jpgCRJ200_X-Plane11 Panel 2.jpg

CRJ200_X-Plane11 Panel 3.jpgCRJ200_X-Plane11 Panel 4.jpg

In The CRJ-2100 the panel textures have been adjusted for X-Plane11 and it makes a significant difference, but a few areas are still over glossy. The poor resolution lighting effect still makes it feel odd like it does in the C300 and certainly if it falls across the actual panel.

Notable here are the sounds. They do feel far better than the original version sounds, and that brings on the question?  As noted X-Plane11 does have a different sound engine that to a point has not been refined or even utilised yet. but it is different. Someone asked the question in how does that relate to the BSS (Blue Star Sky) brilliant audio package and does it work in here?, the answer is it is far to early to tell yet as the X-Plane11 system is far to green to be considered stable and BSS have yet to adjust the packages to the new system, but I would expect updates for the packages to X-Plane11 very quickly... otherwise it is just too early yet for BSS to make changes when the beta is still very much in transition.

CRJ200_X-Plane11 Flying 1.jpgCRJ200_X-Plane11 Flying 2.jpg

But a quick short 88nm hop showed the CRJ-200 to be very much ready for X-Plane11, it is X-Plane11 that will need to change around the CRJ and not the other way around, but make no mistake overall the aircraft still needs an update, because two working FMS units would be nice and that damn annoying GPU still doesn't work until it feels like it.

CRJ200_X-Plane11 Gound 1.jpg  CRJ200_X-Plane11 Gound 2.jpg

At the gate one other noticeable point was the glossy coating over items that shouldn't look like they are covered in a thick plastic cover. In this case the undercarriage,wheels and tyres...  funny enough it is not like that on the Challenger 300?

CRJ200_X-Plane11 Gound 3.jpg

_____________________________________________________________________________________

X-Plane Store logo sm.jpg

The CRJ-200 by JROLLON is available from the X-Plane.org Store :

CRJ-200

Price is US$39.95 (on Sale right now!) Usual price is US$49.95.

If you purchased the CRJ-200 via the X-Plane.OrgStore then go to your account and download the X-Plane10 or this X-Plane11 version of the updated CRJ-200.

Overall it is far too early to make real assessments or start wanting things to working totally right now until X-Plane11 goes stable or to a release version. Fixes and updates will come quickly (version 11.00b2) was released as I do this article), but my guess is that before the Christmas Season we should have something quite solid to fly over the holiday break.

Stephen Dutton

7th December 2016

Copyright:X-PlaneReviews 2016

Logo Header X-PlaneReviews 200px.jpg

Thanks Steve,

Great review!  I purchased XP11, but am saddened that so many of my payware aircraft are having trouble with the conversion.  (primarily brakes and gear doors on Carenado birds).  I will install the CL300 patch today and hope for the best.  As for the CRJ, I purchased mine from x-aviation back in 2011 when it was initially released.  I emailed Cameron and he stated JRollon hadn't released the updated files yet.  

I'm just hoping that I don't have to repurchase all my payware aircraft.  I'm always happy to support the developers for their awesome efforts.  That's the main reason I went ahead and early adopted XP11.  I'll continue to support the devs, but hopefully not at full cost for relatively minor changes to already purchased products.  

22 hours ago, Guest Doug said:

Thanks Steve,

Great review!  I purchased XP11, but am saddened that so many of my payware aircraft are having trouble with the conversion.  (primarily brakes and gear doors on Carenado birds).  I will install the CL300 patch today and hope for the best.  As for the CRJ, I purchased mine from x-aviation back in 2011 when it was initially released.  I emailed Cameron and he stated JRollon hadn't released the updated files yet.  

I'm just hoping that I don't have to repurchase all my payware aircraft.  I'm always happy to support the developers for their awesome efforts.  That's the main reason I went ahead and early adopted XP11.  I'll continue to support the devs, but hopefully not at full cost for relatively minor changes to already purchased products.  

The CRJ-200 v1.70 is out and has been flown in this review. available at x-plane.org.  Aerosoft are still on version v1.53!  But to note that aircraft updates are going to thin on the ground until X-Plane11 gets some stability and these early patches are just that only patches for you to use them in X-Plane11, but that is better than nothing.  SD

• 3 years later...