Aircraft Review : Embraer E-Jet 170LR Evolution by SSG

Stephen

Hi,

I'm quite supportive of SSG and their products, don't think otherwise please.

My gambit has always been that if one is going to do something, then it should be done properly. Thus, FMC's should match their real world counterparts, not always function by function as that may be a very tall order, but in looks and at least some or many of their functions.

Many users probably are more aware than you (as developers) realise, and certainly many are pilots (myself as a PPL included) and many have contacts within the aviation world (myself included).

I am relatively happy with the SSG E170, though there are things I would like to see addressed, and certainly I wasn't after an apology. In fact, the reverse, as I have spent many hours chatting to my Embraer Captain friend, and he has furnished me with many photographs of the flight deck.

One other thing to consider is that flying is a rich man's game (I stopped because I couldn't justify the costs, and I miss my many flights from Massa Cinquale and Biggin Hill), but also flight simulation is becoming more and more expensive, and again we must justify the costs. For some, these costs are astronomical, and for others just one or two purchases are made a year. Whether you buy a few or many add-ons is not the point, it counts even if you buy one, and that is that the product must match our expectations, or we feel unhappy. It's really that simple.

Now don't think that I am unhappy, because certainly I am quite happy, but often the voice we make heard is not just for ourselves, but for all users of these products. I will buy again from SSG, and I aim to buy the CRJ too, but when I do, I will by that point hope to have seen some service packs for the E170, and some improvements when it comes to the production and delivery of the CRJ. And this is not unreasonable nor unrealistic of me, I don't think.

Try not alienating users, as first and foremost we are customers. Sometimes, support forums can be a "make or break" for users, because we ask for help and we put across questions, and always these are in writing, but writing cannot possibly hope to convey feeling or intonation that we feel; we might be desperate, in a hurry, anxious, miserable, and even supportive, though you might not read it that way.

My issue with VNAV was not that I didn't know how to use it, as I most certainly do, but because I didn't recognise the PFD symbols. Consider that no manual is supplied, so I have but my memory to serve me. Besides, in the real world, VNAV is rarely used, especially in busy airspace. Also, how was I to know that the TOGA button is hard coded into the glareshield, for your PDF instructions didn't mention it, and in fact they suggest other ways of enabling TOGA. Therefore, think of my frustration when eventually I did ask, because that was flights later, each one adding to my level of unnecessary aggravation.

Instead, I ask in what ways can I help SSG achieve their goals, for you may find that not only do we know a thing or two, but also that we are happy to help. Ricardo, I wish you and SSG every success, and I expect so to do most of your customers.

With best wishes,

Fabio

Fabio,
Great post, I cannot agree with you more in all points that you brought up.  I was articulating my own post but after reading yours you kinda summed it up for me which made it that I didn't have to.  Thank you

For me I'm looking at the big picture, wanting to get is many new people into flight simulation which I feel is the onramp to the real thing.  I do not treat flight simulation as a "toy", I treated as a learning tool.  I find, I'm always learning something new every day, every time I get behind a simulated cockpit of something no matter what it is.  So keeping costs low would allow a wider audience of new users/customers to come into the fold for flight simulation products, to me this is paramount.  And as you said in your post, you got out of real aviation because of the cost.  This is what I do not want to happen to flight simulation industry.  Cost is the number one evil that keeps us aviation enthusiasts from reaching our dreams.  Putting up a high barrier of entry of quality products discourages new customers in buying your product.  We live in an era that most people do not have generous amounts of disposable income like the average person had in the past (from an American perspective I should say).  So when a product is high and there's other products out there that are comparable the discerning customer will go to the least path of resistance (money wise).  I could go on and on and start muddying up the waters.  So in closing I just want say Fabio, I appreciate it.
Dion Markgraf
AKA: Dionsol
Flight Simulation (X-Plane 10 pilot) & Aviation Enthusiast

Hi,

No worries - let's just say that we should all support and be aware of the needs of all involved, be they developers, publishers, reviewers, and users alike.

After all, we are all in the same boat - ahem! - aeroplane!

Best wishes,

Fabio

Hi Fabio I agree completely with you, keeping good communication and really tell us  about you wishes and disappointment is not bad and we for sure will receive it very well.

Who knows  us  the SSG,  knows how much we  grew and knows our limitations and goals . I wish  costumers  happy , unsuccessful not all is like you that know how to express, our wishes about the  plane, that this is very constructive.  I appreciate it thanks.

• 3 months later...

Hello,

Just so things are clear, I did not come here to discuss or advertise SSG E-170, I am just providing recent information. :)

This review and associated comments are now outdated as SSG released the E0170 ver 1.02 several days ago.

I thought I will just post it here for these who did not know.

It would be great if Steven would be willing to write a little addendum to the review.

Thank you.

Cheers, AJ

• 1 month later...
Guest Alpha Whiskey

Hi Guys, thanks for the lively and interesting comments on this review.

I am making the jump to X Plane from FSX and I have been flying the Feelthere E175/195 in that sim. I put a lot of time into learning their version of the Embraer FMS and MCDU and also spent some time studying Embraer and Honeywell manuals to try to understand what the simulation was trying to do. I have tried a bunch of scenarios with holds and diversions to alternates as well as full autoland in that model and I was very disappointed to see that the MCDU in the X-Crafts 175 was not a realistic simulation in form or function. 

This MCDU looks much more like the one I have studied from real sources such as: 

I think this is a good start and I would rather have this than the X-Craft because the MCDU and FMS are better modeled in this product. I hope the good people at SSG will be inspired to keep pushing for accurate simulation.  

• 1 year later...

This is the most STUPID-difficult FMS I've ever encountered. I mean it's just un-flyable. It's absolutely ridiculous in how intricate it is. If you click one wrong button you're completely screwed. I hate this plane and regret ever having WASTED my money on it. I could have gained more value by literally BURNING the cash and it would have been better. At least then I'd have been warm. 

All FMS's are hard... that is the point, I can't wait to see your comments on say a FFA320U or MD-88. It took me eight months to master the FMS well and correct, and the SSG Evolution FMS is not bad if you know what to do, the trick is to edit the FMS (flightplan) and not expect it to be perfect....  real world pilots do that anyway.