News! - Navigraph acquires SimBrief

News! - Navigraph acquires SimBrief

image_0.jpg

One of the most vital tools in our Simulation armoury is a clever virtual dispatch system called SimBrief. Created in 2013 by "Derek", this extraordinary free tool will create a full virtual flight planning service. It features detailed fuel calculations for over 120 aircraft types, an extensive route database, real-world weather forecasts, current NOTAMs and ETOPS planning. It also allows you to also download a generated flightplan to install the created route. For myself it is the data to program the aircraft's route (via waypoint) plus the correct SID and STAR procedures, and fuel, passenger and cargo loading calculations. It is a simply invaluable tool to any simulation user.

Over the last few years SimBrief was also intergrated into the excellent Navigraph charts system, in overlaying the route on the correct map, and also in a backwards capability in verifying the correct current Navigraph airdata (AIRAC) into the created flightplanning of the route.

The announcement is that now Navigraph has acquired the SimBrief system to be now part of Navigraph.

Magnus Axholt, CEO and co-founder of Navigraph says "The acquisition is a natural progression of the already close collaboration between Navigraph and SimBrief. It builds on the integration between the two platforms existing since 2013 and provides the ability to do flight planning using up to date navigational data".

This would of course create an apoplectic reaction as SimBrief is currently a free service and Navigraph is a subscription service... so will you now have to pay for SimBrief...  currently no...  Magnus of Navigraph notes;

"We plan to integrate SimBrief and Navigraph even further and enable additional functionality to SimBrief using the data and resources Navigraph has available, but however SimBrief's flight planning functionality will continue to be free. Users who want to use the most current navigational data can subscribe to Navigraph and unlock the AIRAC cycles in SimBrief, as before."

Sigh of relief...  but not really for me as I already use a Navigraph account and also recommend the excellent service.

Notably is that "Derek" will also continue to be involved with the SimBrief application while not now being the original developer and owner...  notes Magnus;

"Derek will play a key role as we develop some of the features in the next generation Navigraph Charts product. With the powerful combination of his real world aviation background and software development experience, Derek is a very welcome member of our skilled and multi-disciplinary Navigraph Development Team.

"We shall make SimBrief's flight planning functionality even more accessible to developers in the community by structuring the SimBrief API together with Navigraph APIs in the upcoming Navigraph Developer Portal."

"Navigraph has been a strong SimBrief supporter from the very beginning." Derek adds. "I have always enjoyed working with them to improve the integration between the two services. This very much feels like a natural progression, and I am excited to be a part of the team going forward."

He goes on to say, "I'm confident that Navigraph's resources and experienced development team will not only help ensure that SimBrief remains available to the community for years to come, but also make for some exciting new features and improvements that wouldn't otherwise be possible."

"I have been both humbled and incredibly grateful for the support the community has shown me since I launched SimBrief nearly eight years ago, and I'm looking forward to this next chapter in SimBrief's development." says Derek in closing.

SimBrief will currently continue to operate under the name SimBrief, but now with the tag line "by Navigraph".

The announcement of SimBrief/Navigraph hook up certainly came from out of nowhere, but interesting is the joining of the resources of not of only the quality of Navigraph, but also the continuation of the original developer of the SimBrief application. The one very important point is that with this announcement it will also give the SimBrief application a solid future, and that is the one important thing above anything else, as currently as this virtual dispatch system is a seriously vital tool to any Simulation user.

Navigraph is here; Navigraph FMS Data and Charts for Flight Simulation.

SimBrief is here; SimBrief Dispatch System

News by Stephen Dutton

1st April 2021

Copyright©2021: X-Plane Reviews

(Disclaimer. All images and text in this review are the work and property of X-PlaneReviews, no sharing or copy of the content is allowed without consent from the author as per copyright conditions) All Rights Reserved

Logo Header X-PlaneReviews 200px.jpg

Simbrief is an excellent resource and now at least I don’t have to look guiltily at the PayPal request every time I use it.

Navigraph is a good utility as well (although from time to time their infrastructure and programs have issues) butI do wonder about the business model. The annual subscription with monthly updates is expensive and I’m never that convinced that that the monthly changes are that great. Perhaps I’m wrong.

Simbrief could of course remain free but you could also see situations where it might be changed to make taking updated Navdata more necessary.

While having some concerns Simbrief is so essential to me that I’ve always had concerns about how financially viable it was. At least Navigraph have a source of revenue to support the site.