Laminar Research : X-Plane and in the future the new world order

Stephen

On 7/9/2022 at 8:08 PM, PAL said:

2.  Maps. I have a second monitor on the side where I keep my X-Plane maps, so I can always know where I am in the world. I fly all over the world, many long-distance flights, many places I've never been. Version 11 maps are OK, but can be hard to see / hard to find things, particularly when I'm trying to see long distances. I flew from Renton Field, WA nonstop to Juneau, AK today (2.5 hr flight), but my V11 map would not let me see more than about a quarter of my route at one time. I would like maps to zoom down to see the entire continent at one time! My computer has the horsepower. I would also like maps to have some landmarks, such as naming cities, rivers, bodies of water, etc. And possibly even pins or tags so I can use the maps to keep track of all the places I've been.

Thank you all for your contributions to my flying enjoyment.

PAL

Avitab can do all that and more...

https://forums.x-plane.org/index.php?/files/file/44825-avitab-vr-compatible-tablet-with-pdf-viewer-moving-maps-and-more/

Screenshot_22.jpg

12 hours ago, Stephen said:

No the OSM in AviTab is chunky and slow compared to Navigraph charts, not at all my favorite MAP system, certainly from a Pro perspective.

Sorry... Pal sounded like he was looking for a general improvement over the X-Plane map, which I find AviTab more than acceptable. It didn't sound like he wanted to use it for navigation.

No he mentioned he wanted a wider scale map

" but my V11 map would not let me see more than about a quarter of my route at one time. I would like maps to zoom down to see the entire continent at one time!",

so even AviTab is restricting in this case, you want a global map

On 7/13/2022 at 6:10 AM, Blueb said:

Sorry... Pal sounded like he was looking for a general improvement over the X-Plane map, which I find AviTab more than acceptable. It didn't sound like he wanted to use it for navigation.

Well, I'll settle for any improvement, but I do want to use it for navigation, too. I love to explore and try out new airports, and I love X-Plane Maps' ability to keep my plane icon centered on the map as I move around the country exploring. I only wish it had more detail (cities, towns, rivers, etc) and a little more range (so I can start my descent and plan my approach before I get there). If I'm at FL330 and 500 KIAS and see a nice airport I'd like to land at - well, panic time!  Monday I overflew an airport by 25 miles before I could get down to it! And that is shutting off the engines entirely and not restarting until two miles out.

PAL

• 11 months later...

I am a couple years late regarding this discussion and only started flight simming approximately 6 months ago which I purchased both XP11 and XP12. I am an ignorant end user which I never ever considered purchasing MSFS 2020, because the second I hear the term Microsoft flight simulator, I immediately associate it with some less serious passive gaming platform that is meant more for entertainment played by a hobbyist instead of being utilized by someone who is ultra serious about a love or passion. A passion that can translate and crossover from the simulation world into the world of reality -- not a pseudo passive flight game. Only 10 minutes after downloading and purchasing both XP versions (11/12), I was hooked, and now, totally addicted to XP...developing flight plans and flying different airplanes to different parts of the U.S. I never even tried MSFS 2020, and to be honest, don't care about trying and comparing to XP! XP, for whatever reason from the minute I started reading and researching it seemed much more for the serious user and appeared to have a higher quality and intellectual sound, feel, and experience!!! I know this is shallow but please don't step-back keep moving forward and upward!!!