Aircraft Update : Bombardier Challenger 300 v10.31 by Dden

Stephen

bombardier_cl_300_header-700px1.jpg

Aircraft Update : Bombardier Challenger 300 v10.31 by Dden

As for owning your own private jet then you can't go past Dden's exceptional Bombardier Challenger 300. It has been up there in the top-10 X-Plane best of list for ages and ages and still there is nothing really in this category even still even come close to the 300, yes there are few great executive jets out there, but nothing in this standard of quality area gets even really within a continent of the aircraft. However the Challenger 300 has been feeling a little long in tooth lately. It had an update to make it 64bit, but otherwise it hasn't had too much attention in past few years. In that time there have been a lot of X-Plane updates and the X-Plane 10.30 update was quite a significant one. It was noted that an update was overdue and here it is.

Bombardier_Cl_300_Head 1.jpg  Bombardier_Cl_300_Head 2.jpg

Bombardier_Cl_300_Head 3.jpg  Bombardier_Cl_300_Head 4.jpg

This is the noted 10.31 update and in the list is really nothing in a large change or with any new features to the aircraft, but there is a lot of nice fine-tuning. But there has been certainly a significant amount of touch-ups and tidy-ups and that is reflected when flying the aircraft.

- Fixed engine logic (thrust at low N1, fixed behavior when controlled by 2 hardware throttles)

- Fixed generators amps

- Fixed external lights

- Option in REFS menu to enable/disable FIXes, NDBs, waypoints, VORs etc.

- Added option in REFS menu to switch inHg/hPa

- Added speed trend vector on PFD

- Added altitude trend vector on PFD

- Added nav display scale indication

- Added option in setting menu to disable MFD control panel auto pop-up

- Added option in setting menu to separately control external/internal sounds

- Com1 audio is ON now by default

- Added dynamic reflections on the glass instruments

- Added option in settings menu to disable 2d cockpit

- Added custom commands for animations/lights

- Added custom hi-res DME distance readouts

- Fixed wind indicator on PFD

- Fixed fuel flow

- Fixed landing gear drag in xp10

- Tuned flaps drag in xp10

- Changed altitude selector increments to 100ft

- Added close (x) sign for each of pop-up menus

- Changed command names to get rid of "It is illegal to register a command starting with sim/" message in the log.txt

- Fixed CRS button

- Added option to disable camera lock

- Fixed multi functional spoilers logic

- Dome light is brighter now

- Added an option to disable main menu autohide

- Fixed bus-tie behavior

- Fixed REFS display logic during approach

- Added APU fuel consumption

- Fixed engine logic in one engine configuration

- Fixed save/load replay bug

- Fixed broken links in the manual

Bombardier_Cl_300_Cockpit 1.jpg  Bombardier_Cl_300_Cockpit 2.jpg

Bombardier_Cl_300_Cockpit 3.jpg  Bombardier_Cl_300_Cockpit 4.jpg

The cockpit was always a nice place to be. But you did find the odd knob or button was very slow or erratic (or old?). That feeling has now gone and you feel the aircraft is now very much more in the moment. small changes like the CRS (Course) adjustment was always a little messy, but many things now work more efficently. Behind the scences the aircraft and its systems has had a good tune-up as well, all small but still significant changes that just make the aircraft feel and fly better. The Challenger 300 is a bit of a challenge to fly perfectly, but when everything works it helps out behind the yokes as well. The only feature still missing here is the most requested programmable FMC. It is not yet in this update as the it still an X-Plane based FMC, but Dden has noted a full SID/STAR version is under development, but just don't expect it anytime soon.

Bombardier_Cl_300_Flight 1.jpg  Bombardier_Cl_300_Flight 2.jpg

Bombardier_Cl_300_Flight 3.jpg  Bombardier_Cl_300_Flight 4.jpg

Bombardier_Cl_300_Flight 5.jpg  Bombardier_Cl_300_Flight 6.jpg

Bombardier_Cl_300_Flight 7.jpg  Bombardier_Cl_300_Flight 8.jpg

The Bombardier flies like you expect it too...  Brilliantly. A quick flight to Jersey EGJJ, showed the power and speed of the aircraft, but I certainly do recommend a throttle system for flying the aircraft. There is no autothrottle and your hands on to adjust the speeds, and you do that almost constantly. Adjusting the throttle by the keys somehow doest feel right and the increments are too large for the absolute touchy flying you have to do here. Sounds are absolutely first rate as well. It gives you a great aural feedback in the cockpit, but on the ramp at startup and shut down, it gives you goosebumps. Ditto the reverse-thrust on landing...  just brilliant.

Bombardier_Cl_300_Cabin 1.jpg  Bombardier_Cl_300_Cabin 2.jpg

In quality then nothing in X-Plane comes close, in the cabin is just filled with sumptuousness and luxury. And you have animations to make everything move or open from the tables to the doors via menus.

Bombardier_Cl_300_GND 1.jpg  Bombardier_Cl_300_GND 2.jpg

Bombardier_Cl_300_GND 3.jpg  Bombardier_Cl_300_GND 4.jpg

There is now a huge slection of liveries for the aircraft on the X-Plane.Org "Challenger 300 skins" so you won't be short of the right look in civilan or military you would want for the aircraft.

Systems included are:

AIR CONDITIONING/PRESSURIZATION

AURAL / VISUAL ALERTS

FLIGHT INSTRUMENTS

FUEL SYSTEM

LIGHTING

ELECTRICAL

FLIGHT CONTROLS

HYDRAULICS

ICE&RAIN PROTECTION

POWERPLANT/FADEC

Overall the Challenger 300 is simply still the best Personal Jet in X-Plane. This 10.31 update just cleans and fine-tunes the aircraft up to the current X-Plane system. Also if you still don't own it (Why not?) then usually is on a sale somewhere and even at its full price this aircraft is an absolute bargain, on a sale price that makes this aircraft an simply insane thought not to have in your hanger.

logo logo sm.jpg

For a full X-Plane Reviews release review of the Bombardier Challenger 300 then go here... 

Price is US$29.95

The Bombardier Challenger 300 Captain Edition is available now from the New X-Plane.org Store : Bombardier Challenger 300 Captain Edition

If you already own the Bombardier Challenger 300 Captain Edition, then go to your X-Plane.OrgStore account to get the 10.31 upgrade.

Technical Requirements:

Mac, Windows or Linux 

X-Plane 10.31 or higher (not compatible with X-Plane 9) 
1Gb dedicated VRAM recommended

Last updated: January 10th 2015

Documents : Two Manuals with one being a “Quickflight” Guide (updated to 10.31)

Download: 254.60mb

Stephen Dutton

15th January 2015

Copyright©2015: X-Plane Reviews

X Plane reviews logo 200px.jpg

• 1 month later...
Guest Kerry Neighbour

I agree that the plane "is a challenge to fly". I over correct all the time - it is a real pain to fly! It seems way too sensitive.

Also not sure why you say the reverse thrust sounds on landing are brilliant? I can barely tell they are engaged - certainly no brilliant sound effects. Other sounds are pretty good though.

Like you, I find some of the cockpit controls pretty hard to select, especially in flight. Not sure if this is plane specific, or the hotzones are just too small.

I personally DON'T recommend this plane - it looks very good, but does not fly well. Just my opinion, of course.

It is not called the "Challenger" for nothing... and as I note above "Challenger 300 is a bit of a challenge to fly perfectly".  X-Plane has also updated the way you use the thrust reversers, click to open the doors and throttle up, they sound the same to me. Personally I think you will be in the minority here on this aircraft as most users rave about it?

• 2 months later...
Guest Jaris

I love this airplane, I can't fly it very well yet but it's excellent, a real challenge; is there a default way to program a DME Arc on this airplane without using other extra plugins like X-FMC?. Thanks!!!

I love this airplane, I can't fly it very well yet but it's excellent, a real challenge; is there a default way to program a DME Arc on this airplane without using other extra plugins like X-FMC?. Thanks!!!

No sorry, the FMC is only X-Plane default at this point, so X-FMC is the only way to go... 

• 3 months later...
Guest Santana

It's a shame to spend that money and then not have it's proper FMS (rockwell collins FMS6000) . for VFR Flying I could just use any cockpit display.

I obviously would not trigger anyone to start programming and implementing the entire jeppesen routes into planex .. but for the FMS, I think that is really crucial on this plane.

It's a shame to spend that money and then not have it's proper FMS (rockwell collins FMS6000) . for VFR Flying I could just use any cockpit display.

I obviously would not trigger anyone to start programming and implementing the entire jeppesen routes into planex .. but for the FMS, I think that is really crucial on this plane.

Dden is creating a proper FMS for the Challenger, but it will go into his new Global 6000 first... It is coming, we just have to be patient. :) SD

• 1 year later...
7 hours ago, Guest denwatson said:

I was disappointed that there is no HUD on this aircraft.  Am I missing something? Can it be added? 

By design the Challenger 300 is quite old, but updates have kept it flying well so to speak. The developer is completing an Bombardier Global 6000 and that includes a full FMS. It was noted than once the Bombardier Global 6000 is completed the Challenger 300 will have an upgrade, so ask and you my get the HUD...  SD