Aircraft Update : Boeing 787-9 Aviator v1.5.0 by Magknight

BernardoCasa

B7879 - 2020-06-01 09.jpg

Aircraft Update : Boeing 787-9 Aviator v1.5.0 by Magknight

A few days ago was released a new major update for the Magknight 787. This great update brought many new features and usabilities, as well as a lot of corrections from the previous version. The most awaited features that are included in the update are probably the ACARS support, the new Rolls Royce engines and flight controls changes.

As in the older versions, you must have Java installed, if not, the plane comes with the installer. Just follow the installation instructions and you have any problem. If you don't have installed the Java correctly, a message will appear in the cockpit screen located on your left.

Sem título.jpgB7879 - 2020-06-01 10.37.jpg

The Magknight had issues with the Skunk Crafts updater in the past, and sadly this is happening again. You will need to download the update through the X-Plane.Org Store.

ACARS

The Aircraft Communications Addressing and Reporting System or ACARS is a digital data link system for transmission of short messages between aircraft and ground stations via airband radio or satellite. It can be used for many operations, such as weather reports, air traffic control, and others. In this update the 787 now supports a few tasks in the ACARS system, being METAR and TAF request one of them.

The system is very easy to use. Make sure to have your Hoppie logon code and insert it in the ACARS section in the COMM page. It's important to note that you need to insert the departure and arrival airports in the MCDU, as well as the flight number. After that, you can head to the flight information page and there you will find some options. If you want to request the METAR, just insert your airport code, click in "send" and wait a few seconds. This way you can receive the METAR for the desired airport. Note that most functions work this way.

B7879 - 2020-06-02 12.42.jpgB7879 - 2020-06-02 12.jpgB7879 - 2020-06-02 sa.jpgB7879 - 2020-06-02 12a.jpg

if you don't know what is the Hoppie code, just type "Hoppie ACARS" in google. This website should appear https://www.hoppie.nl/acars/, click in "get logon code" and just follow the given instructions.

New Engines (Experimental)

In the last version, v1.4.1, the beautiful GEnx engines were added to the aircraft, and now it's time for the Rolls-Royce Trent 1000 engines. Completely remodeled, they are a great addition to the aircraft. This new feature isn't a visual change only, it changes the sounds and performance as well. I don't know your opinion, but this was the greatest feature included in the update.

B7879 - 2020-06-01 13.59f.jpgB7879 - 2020-06-01 13.59.jpg

The engine chevrons were a great improvement brought by the 787, which was later adopted by the 737 Max series and the Boeing 748. Alongside the many benefits related to performance and similar things, the chevrons give the 787 a very beautiful and distinctive visual. Pretty nice at the sunset. Be aware that new liveries are required to use the RR engines.

B7879 - 2020-06-01 20.25.jpgB7879 - 2020-06-01 20.jpg

B7879 - 2020-06-01 s.jpgB7879 - 2020-06-01 20.23.jpg

As I said earlier, the addition of RR engines also changes the performance of the aircraft. Accordingly to the information provided by Magknight in the Store, the Rolls-Royce engines have approximately 8% more power than the GE. It's important to note that TPR and throttle limiter are experimental features. 

If you want to change the selected engine, you will need to head into the settings menu and change the option from GE to RR. The airplane will inform you that an aircraft reload is required, so you should reload it as said  by the given instructions.

B7879 - 2020-06-01 14.27.jpgB7879 - 2020-06-01 22.jpg

B7879 - 2020-06-01 14.42.jpg

The Magknight team made such a great job modeling the new engines, just like the GE engines in the last update. Now you can fully simulate 787 flights that use both GE and RR, just remember to download the new liveries.

Custom Systems

This update brought many changes related to systems, especially air conditioning and Fuel. 

Starting with the air conditioning system. Many changes occurred here, such as the addition of Air EFIS graphics, which gives you the ability to monitor the air conditioning system. Sound and packs airflow changes are also listed in the changelog.

B7879 - 2020-06-02 09.jpgB7879 - 2020-06-02 09a.jpg

The fuel system received some upgrades in many areas like fuel balance system, fuel feed on ground, central tank scavenge system and many other modifications which aim to make a better add-on.

B7879 - 2020-06-02 09.40.jpgB7879 - 2020-06-02 s.jpg

Custom Flight Controls

The Magknight 787 received many improvements and changes related to flight controls. Some people were having issues with the autobrake in the previous version, but now this shouldn't happen, the autobrake received corrections and should be working perfectly.  Spoilers and flaps were also improved, being the spoiler retraction and deployment as well as flap timing order good examples.

B7879 - 2020-06-01 20.41.jpgB7879 - 2020-06-01 20d.jpg

There were many other improvements in this update, like the addition of FCTL and hydraulic system messages in the EICAS. The disabling of the roll tiller when the plane is above 45kts is another little improvement that makes the aircraft more realistic.

B7879 - 2020-06-02 18.43.jpgB7879 - 2020-06-02 18.jpg

The aircraft performance and flight model also received changes in this update, aiming for a more realistic simulation of the Boeing 787-9.

B7879 - 2020-06-01 14.jpgB7879 - 2020-06-01 14.412.jpg

Summary

This new update for the Magknight 787 brought many new features, as well as bug fixes and different improvements. Tailstrike protection, APU haze and texture corrections are some of the many changes included in this new version. As always, the changelog will be attached at the end, so you will be able to check and know exactly what changed in version 1.5.0.

As you all know, the Magknight 787 is a plane under development, so don't expect it to be perfect by the moment, however you can affirm that it had a huge improvement since its release.

Due to the fact that the 787 is becoming one of the most important and versatile planes in the real world, it has been chosen for both short and long-haul more and more over the time. This great representation of the incredible Boeing 787-9 Dreamliner shouldn't be missing in your hangar, especially after this nice update which includes those beautiful Rolls-Royce Trent 1000 engines.

588c3ec720348_X-PlaneStorelogosm.jpg.d1898f535df455909b9ac093c00f7f58.jpg

The Boeing 787-9 Aviator Edition v1.5.0  by Magknight is available in the X-Plane.Org Store here:

B787-9 Aviator Edition

Price is US$44.95

Upgrade cost to the "Aviator Edition" from the original payware release version is US$10, see your X-Plane.OrgStore account for the upgrade.

Features

General
  • Brand new flight model built for X-Plane 11.40+
  • Improved wingflex
  • Custom IRS simulation, with quick align
  • Auto-update for the lifetime of X-Plane 11
  • LED exterior lights
  • Revised font for cockpit textures
  • New yoke model
  • Revised cockpit textures
  • Pause at top of descent and jump to waypoint
  • 3D cabin

• New: Multiple engine choices
  • Choose from the mainstay GE engines, or the new experimental RR engines
  • Each engine has different flight characteristics

• New: Custom flight controls
    • 5-setting autobrakes with RTO capability
    • Dynamic flap timing and order
    • Roll spoilers based on speed and wingforce
    • Surface droop on hydraulics loss
    • Surface fadeout by speed

• New: Hoppie ACARS integration
    • Intergration with the Hoppie ACARS network
    • Allows uplink of pre-departure clearances and weather information

• FMOD soundpack by audiobirdXP
    • Fully custom FMOD soundpack for the GENx engines
    • Extensive integration with systems
    • Cockpit switch and button sounds

• 3D cabin and fuselage
    • Ground-up exterior fuselage model including optional tinted windows
    • 3D cabin with optional seating
    • Cabin is optional, configurable in EFB for performance

• Custom electrical system
    • Designed from the ground up for the 787
    • Ground power unit
    • Custom anti-ice, simulating the resistance in each mat

• Liveries
    • Blank livery included by default
    • Other liveries available at https://magknight.org/liveries
    • Liveries from before 1.4.0 will not be compatible due to change of engine and fuselage models

Auto-Updater
  • Uses the Skunkcraft Updater for Automatic updates

Requirements:

X-Plane 11 Fully updated

Windows, Mac or Linux
4GB VRAM Minimum - 8GB+ VRAM recommended
Download Size: 1 GB
Current and Review version : 1.5.0 (May 24th 2020)

Aircraft Update by Bernardo Pierdoná Casa

2nd June 2020

Copyright©2020: X-PlaneReviews

Review System Specifications:
Computer System: Intel Core I5-9600K 4,30GHz / 2x8 Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3200MHz - Gigabyte RTX 2070 - Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master - Kingston A1000M.2 SSD 240GB

Software:   - Windows 10 - X-Plane  11.41

Addons: Logitech Pro Flight Yoke/Pedals/Throttle Quadrant - Logitech Extreme 3d Pro Joystick - Sound: Samsung Home Theater System J5500WK

Plugins:  Environment Engine v1.13 by xEnviro US$69,90 Traffic: Traffic Global by JustFlight US$52.99 Ground textures: ALES US$15.99

(Disclaimer. All images and text in this review are the work and property of X-PlaneReviews, no sharing or copy of the content is allowed without consent from the author as per copyright conditions)

LogoHeader200px_X-PlaneReviews_Wide.png

LIVERIES for 1.50

If you download the livery pack or any additional ones for the 1.50 and when you customise in x-plane, it shows only the default livery for any you have chosen, it is because it does not like the file structure of the download. Find the folder for your chosen airline that contains : Objects folder,  icon, thumbnail and .json. Make sure that the first 3 are in the correct airline colours. Copy these files up to the folder for this airline immediately below the liveries folder. Move any other files remaining in this folder to a backup folder just in case.  The lower folders then become superfluous, but I retain them just in case. 

Screenshot KLM.gif

The previous screenshot is where the files were. This screenshot shows where they should be

Screenshot KLM 2.gif

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/5/2020 at 8:53 AM, AirbusMan said:

Good? Or FF A350 better?

want a long haul modern plane.

Sorry for the Necro here, but I was recently thinking about the same thing and went with the 787. I can pretty safely say that I made the right desicion. The 787 may not be perfect, but it is eons ahead of the a350 in both mechanics, graphics, and active development, with a lower price to boot. I'd highly recommend it between the two.

2 hours ago, DevFly said:

Hmmm. Cannot get the a/c to follow the heading when Hdg and AP on, with LNAV off

I believe that you mean AP. Well, when my AP is on I always select LNAV, so I never used HDG mode. The next time I get the opportunity to fly the 787 again, I'll take a look at the HDG mode.

The LNAV works pretty well, so I don't see any reason for using HDG. If you want to use it during approach, try flying the plane by yourself, it is very enjoyable.

Hello Bernardo

I agree its ok with LNAV. I usually fly on Vatsim, so I have to do what the controllers tell me, which usually differs from the flight plan at some stage, so I then have to switch LNAV off and set my heading bug and expect the a/c to follow that once I have lit up the Hdg switch. It works very well on the 737 Zibo, where once you hit the Hdg switch, LNAV switches itself off and the a/c follows whatever heading you set with the dials.

Robin

Ok, so I took the aircraft for a departure and I believe that I know your problem. I've set myself at 9,000ft with ALT hold and no A/T, should work fine with A/T, then selected the desired heading. After that I clicked at the HDG hold button and nothing, just like you described, however, if you unclick the hold button, leaving no light on, and click the SEL button in the HDG selector the plane should follow the selected heading. So, just click SEL and don't click hold.

I expect that this post helped you.

Casa

Hello

Thanks. That has solved it.

The other things that puzzle me are :

1. The range button on  + decreases the range. - increases it ! Should be the other way around

2. Cannot change the MFD lit button to the left. At present the lit one on the Pilots side is set to the right and the Co-pilots to the left. Is it significant ?

3. The VOR/ADF switches on the radio panel do not work. As the Map/Plan screen shows VOR at the bottom of the page, I do not know if it is picking up the VOR I have input, or the ILS frequency

4. I set WFD (Woodford) frequency near EGCC on the ADF1 on the Nav/Rad, but at the bottom of the Map page it shows as INN instead of WFD. I also set the ILS for rwy 23R at 109.5 When I approached I got the green  arrow in line with the runway and the a/c landed as shown by the ILS after clicking APP, so the green arrow was not pointing to WFD (which is off to the left on that approach).

5. I find the dials for hdg and alt very difficult. On hdg you either have to click one at a time which is very slow, or by using the mouse wheel. To use the wheel, it is necessary to zoom in, but it is very difficult to hold the mouse steady while turning the wheel. If it slips slightly, I either lose it altogether or it turns the bank instead. It is all too slow and awkward if I am responding to ATC on Vatsim.  

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/14/2020 at 3:47 PM, DAve said:

Does the FMC work? i can't seem to get it to function, the tablet on the left says i need an additional download of navigraph, is this required to use the FMC?

The plane comes with the default X-Plane FMC, which works with no problems. You need Navigraph to update the AIRAC and/or use the charts.

• 2 months later...