Scenery Review : LFSB - EuroAirport Basel Mulhouse Freiburg by JustSim

LSFB - Mulhouse_Header.jpg

Scenery Review : LFSB - EuroAirport Basel Mulhouse Freiburg by JustSim

EuroAirport Basel Mulhouse Freiburg ( LFSB) is an international airport 3.5 km (2.2 mi) northwest of the city of Basel, Switzerland, 20 km (12 mi) southeast of Mulhouse in France, and 46 km (29 mi) south-southwest of Freiburg im Breisgau in Germany. This Franco-Swiss administered airport is geographically located within the French Alsace region, in the administrative commune of Saint-Louis near the border tripoint between France, Germany, and Switzerland, so being noted as the EuroAirport of three regions is a good definition of the position and significance of this Swiss/Franco airport.

EuroAirport
Basel Mulhouse Freiburg

Aéroport de Bâle-Mulhouse

Flughafen Basel-Mülhausen

IATA: BSL, MLH, EAP - ICAO: LFSB, LSZM

15/33 : 3,900m - (12,795ft) Concrete

08/26 : 1,820m (5,971ft) Concrete

Elevation AMSL : 885 ft / 270 m

LSFB - Mulhouse_Head 1.jpgLSFB - Mulhouse_Head 2.jpgLSFB - Mulhouse_Head 3.jpgLSFB - Mulhouse_Head 4.jpgLSFB - Mulhouse_Head 5.jpg

Many sceneries are incorporated into reviews because in the their own review they are so good you just don't want to lose them again into your expansive network of destinations. Two come to mind with Luxembourg Airport (ELLX) and Brussels Airport (EBBR) that both have had extensive exposure and are use consistently in X-PlaneReviews that would have not even been considered in my normal flight routings....  and oddly enough is that both of these sensational sceneries are by JustSim.

So here is EuroAirport LFSB/LSZM or Mulhouse which is again by JustSim, and is already probably destined to become another of those sceneries that in most cases would never even think of, or never mind in actually using...   in which case you will from now on will probably use the scenery all the time.

LSFB - Mulhouse_Head 6.jpgLSFB - Mulhouse_Head 7.jpgLSFB - Mulhouse_Head 8.jpgLSFB - Mulhouse_Head 9.jpg

LSFB - Mulhouse_Head 10.jpgLSFB - Mulhouse_Head 11.jpgLSFB - Mulhouse_Head 12.jpg

Intergration into the X-Plane mesh is simply sublime, with the excellent layout set within the landscape perfectly. There are a few flat areas to the south that the autogen has not covered, but it is not really noticeable in context. The highlight is the main terminal building with it's Y shaped concourse that was built in 2002.

Terminal Building

You cannot be anything but totally blown away by the quality of the EuroAirport terminal building, it is simply sensational in detail and design.

LSFB - Mulhouse_Terminal 1.jpgLSFB - Mulhouse_Terminal 2.jpg

LSFB - Mulhouse_Terminal 4 LG.jpgLSFB - Mulhouse_Terminal 3.jpgLSFB - Mulhouse_Terminal 5.jpg

Developers take note, this in the sort craftmanship you have to aspire to in this high level of competitive scenery, everything here is perfect, reflective glass, oh yes, and in the perfect detailing, well yes as that is all in here as well. There is no internal detail, but in reality that isn't required here, but the external detailing is perfect where needed.

The terminal gates are numbered 1-2, 20-46, 60-61 and 78-87 of which gates 22-32 are used for non-Schengen flights. Seven of the boarding gates (animated/active) but are not SAM, but the highly converted "Marginal" design featured Autogates, the other gates are used for walkon - or bus-boarding.

LSFB - Mulhouse_Terminal 6.jpgLSFB - Mulhouse_Terminal 7.jpgLSFB - Mulhouse_Terminal 8.jpgLSFB - Mulhouse_Terminal 9.jpg

....  glass is the one area that differentiates even the very best of quality scenery, but the glass application here is simply above and beyond, yes I am gushing, this is brilliant stuff and it all comes with shading and occlusion (texture baking) effects. Control Tower mid-Terminal is faithfully recreated with nice detailing. Tower View is correct, if a little low.

LSFB - Mulhouse_Tower 1.jpgLSFB - Mulhouse_Tower 2.jpg

Clutter is also very good. Airside there is a lot of well placed clutter with some branding, but mostly they are all placed default vehicles. Landside is the same but still very well done. The photo ground textures are a bit grainy, but not the usual washed out and they are still highly visible with a few burnt into the ground cars. There is also a lot of animated vehicles spread around the scenery, the vehicle traffic is spot on with a lot of movement, but not too much to overwhelm the roadways...

LSFB - Mulhouse_Terminal 10.jpgLSFB - Mulhouse_Terminal 11.jpgLSFB - Mulhouse_Terminal 12.jpgLSFB - Mulhouse_Terminal 13.jpg

....    unique here is that the landside areas are uniquely divided into both separate French and a Swiss parts (Swiss customs road is arrowed) .

LSFB - Mulhouse_Road 2.jpgLSFB - Mulhouse_Road 1.jpg

The headquarters of Swiss International Air Lines and Swiss Global Air Lines are on the grounds at EuroAirport Basel–Mulhouse–Freiburg in the Swiss section of the airport; even though the airport is within France, the Swiss head office is only accessible from Switzerland by that same unique road connection.

LSFB - Mulhouse_Jet Aviation 4.jpg

Older original Cargo facilities are very good with F1, F2, F3, F4 and F4A parking stands. Jet Aviation maintenance area (Maintenance Apron) is huge with some really nice static Boeing 747-400's...

LSFB - Mulhouse_Cargo.jpgLSFB - Mulhouse_Jet Aviation.jpg

LSFB - Mulhouse_Jet Aviation 3.jpgLSFB - Mulhouse_Jet Aviation 2.jpg

...  nowhere to park your private jet? well why not up on the roof, it is the perfect solution.

To be noted are the excellent elevation changes within the scenery. AS there are clever gradients that are set out everywhere including (3d) below ground large channel areas.

LSFB - Mulhouse_Elevation 1.jpgLSFB - Mulhouse_Elevation 2.jpg

On the southern boundary is the new Swissaport Cargo facility and it is huge. There are only two cargo parking stands, but they are both category F stands in F21 and F22. Cargo operators include: ASL Airlines, DHL Aviation, FedEx Feeder, Korean Air Cargo, Qatar Airways Cargo and UPS Airlines.

LSFB - Mulhouse_Cargo 2.jpgLSFB - Mulhouse_Cargo 3.jpg

Southwest is a large MRO maintenance area and industrial complex (Maintenance Apron South-West)...   the main tenants here include AMAC Aerospace, Jet Aviation and Airservice Basel.

LSFB - Mulhouse_Southwest 1.jpgLSFB - Mulhouse_Southwest 2.jpg

LSFB - Mulhouse_Southwest 3 LG.jpg

LSFB - Mulhouse_Southwest 4.jpgLSFB - Mulhouse_Southwest 5.jpg

The whole complex is really well done with individual designed buildings and a huge amount of detail, static aircraft that are neatly packed in and well represented, overall the Southwest area is first rate. Also represented in this area is the La Comète Sports Centre.

LSFB - Mulhouse_Southwest 6.jpg

There is a fair bit of infrastructure in the Northeast along the main Taxiway B. Highlight is the older original hangers that front the General Aviation and Private Jet apron and stands G3 - G20...  The huge airport Fire Station is far north.

LSFB - Mulhouse_North 4.jpgLSFB - Mulhouse_North 3.jpg

LSFB - Mulhouse_North 1.jpgLSFB - Mulhouse_North 2.jpg

The old traditional Swiss Buildings at the entrance to the EuroAirport have also been well reproduced as is the massive undercover carpark.

Ground Textures

The Runway textures are excellent as the main runway concrete construction is perfectly realised, worn and in parts well rubberised, and the taxiway asphalt is also spot on in general use wear and tear, verges are perfect as is the large coverage of the airfield with 3d grass.

LSFB - Mulhouse_Ground textures 4.jpgLSFB - Mulhouse_Ground textures 3.jpg

LSFB - Mulhouse_Ground textures 2.jpgLSFB - Mulhouse_Ground textures 1.jpg

All surfaces are PBR (Physically Based Rendered) with reflections and wet (rain) effects and they are very, very good.

LSFB - Mulhouse_Ground textures 5.jpgLSFB - Mulhouse_Ground textures 6.jpg

Lighting

I was expecting the lighting to average, but it is again only exceptional. Main Runway 15/33 has significant approach lighting on RWY 15, however the approach to RWY 33 is quite different...  the actual runway only starts past Taxiway D, the rest is just the runway extension...

LSFB - Mulhouse_Lighting 1.jpgLSFB - Mulhouse_Lighting 2.jpgLSFB - Mulhouse_Lighting 4.jpgLSFB - Mulhouse_Lighting 3.jpg

...  the boundary is made clear by the side runway red lighting before the official white lights, and here that aspect is exceptionally done, and also note the short 08/26 does not have any lighting and neither does the adjoining Taxiway P.

Think that the terminal looked great in the daylight, well you haven't seen it in the night time, well it is stupendous!

LSFB - Mulhouse_Lighting 5 LG.jpgLSFB - Mulhouse_Lighting 6.jpgLSFB - Mulhouse_Lighting 10.jpgLSFB - Mulhouse_Lighting 7 LG.jpgLSFB - Mulhouse_Lighting 8.jpgLSFB - Mulhouse_Lighting 9.jpg

Lower terminal and Y concourse LIT textures could be a bit overbright and not to everyone's taste, but I like them a lot...

LSFB - Mulhouse_Lighting 11.jpgLSFB - Mulhouse_Lighting 12.jpg

Landside in carpark lighting is also excellent, as are all remote aprons which are also well catered for...

LSFB - Mulhouse_Lighting 14.jpgLSFB - Mulhouse_Lighting 13.jpgLSFB - Mulhouse_Lighting 15.jpgLSFB - Mulhouse_Lighting 16.jpg

...  all building detail and lit signage is first rate and the attention to lighting detail here is perfect.

Services: EuroAirport Basel–Mulhouse–Freiburg is mostly a LLC (Low-Cost Carrier) centric airport, with a lot of seasonal sevices. EasyJet Switzerland is based here as is Ryanair, well off and on. BSL was also the old Crossair headquarters, but Eurowings are now also starting to have a significant impact on the airport as well.

Summary

You see a lot of scenery when you do a lot of significant reviews, and in most cases if not in all then with exception of a few cases there is always an area or that something that reduces the perfect scenery down from it's almost perfect perch at the top, to a far lower expectation...  but this EuroAirport Basel–Mulhouse–Freiburg airport scenery is certainly not one of those.

This is an airport that covers two countries in France (It is built on French soil) and Switzerland, but also on the boundary of a third country in Germany, so it is a pure multinational and international airport. It is really a place to it's own in being a Euroland.

I'm rating this JustSim scenery Five Stars and it deserves that rare accolade, it is almost the perfect scenery with excellent mest intergration, overwhelming terminal modeling, excellent clutter and landside detail, active vehicles, glass and textures (All PBR) and airbridges (all seven of them), then the icing on this already great cake is the excellent terminal, landside lighting and night signage... only very small kink is that in some areas you get no autogen to cover the phototextures, and some users may not like the terminal lower LIT overbright textures... and that is it, otherwise this EuroAirport is almost perfect in what you require in airport scenery. Yes I was blown away by this scenery and the high quality it delivers....  and you will love it as well.

Five out of FIVE stars ☀️☀️☀️☀️☀️

X-Plane Store logo sm.jpg

Yes! LFSB - EuroAirport Basel Mulhouse Freiburg by JustSim is Available from the X-Plane.Org Store here :

LFSB - EuroAirport Basel Mulhouse Freiburg

Price is US$21.60

Features:
  • Detailed airport objects and vehicles
  • Custom textured taxiways, runways and apron
  • Custom surroundings 
  • Custom autogen for whole island
  • Custom airport lights
  • Compatible with X-Plane 11 features
  • Shading and occlusion (texture baking) effects on terminal and other airport buildings
  • High resolution ground textures / Custom runway textures
  • High resolution building textures
  • Excellent night effects
  • Realistic reflections on glass
  • World Traffic compatible
  • X-Life traffic compatible
  • Optimized for excellent performance

Installation

Scenery download zip package is 850.30mb, and it is installed in your X-Plane custom scenery folder in this order:

• LFBS_Justsim_v1.0 (1.79Gb)
  • LFBS_Mesh_Justsim_v1.0 (20.8mb)

Total scenery installation is 1.81gb

Requirements :

X-Plane 11+
Windows, Mac, Linux
4Gb VRAM Video Card Minimum, 8Gb+ VRAM Video Card Recommended
Current and Review version: 1.0 (Feb 5th 2020)

Scenery Review by Stephen Dutton

12th February 2020

Copyright©2020: X-Plane Reviews

Review System Specifications:

Computer System: Windows  - Intel Core i7 6700K CPU 4.00GHz / 64bit - 16 Gb single 1067 Mhz DDR4 2133 - GeForce GTX 980/SSE2 - Samsung Evo 1Tb SSD 

Software:   - Windows 10 - X-Plane 10 Global ver 11.41

Addons: Saitek x52 Pro system Joystick and Throttle : Sound - Bose  Soundlink Mini : Headshake by SimCoders

Plugins:  WorldTraffic3 US$29.95 : Environment Engine v1.07 by xEnviro US$69.90 : SFD Global by misterx6 US$30.00

Scenery or Aircraft

- Boeing 738 by Laminar Research - Default with X-Plane11

Logo Header X-PlaneReviews 200px.jpg

• 2 months later...

Just downloaded and installed this scenery today and I'm impressed! Just a slight problem though, I get a warning coming up at about the 100 mile mark on the way to this airport saying that the scenery at LFSB may not look right, but if I'm ok with that, then press the 'Understood' button on the warning sign. I think this is an OrbX warning. All my scenery addons (including airports) are within the 'Custom Scenery' folder. as is this airport (LFSB). I placed the scenery there as per instructions. Also, ALL scenery addons in the Custom Scenery folder are from OrbX with this JustFlight airport being the one exception.

Is there any way of stopping this warning sign coming up? I mean I can live with it, but it's just a bit of a nuisance seeing this sign come up on the monitor everytime I fly within 100 miles of LFSB.

You need to do as the warning says...    Go to your X-Plane Log.txt and see what the problem is and fix it, odd though because JustSim's scenery rarely uses external library objects? This is NOT Orbx scenery...  so does not use Orbx objects, check the log.txt?

44 minutes ago, Stephen said:

You need to do as the warning says...    Go to your X-Plane Log.txt and see what the problem is and fix it, odd though because JustSim's scenery rarely uses external library objects? This is NOT Orbx scenery...  so does not use Orbx objects, check the log.txt?

Stephen - The warning just made me aware that something was wrong with the scenery and if I was ok with that then press 'Understood', which is what I did. There was no other option on that warning window. I couldn't see anything wrong with the scenery when I landed at LFSB. I realise now that that missing scenery warning window that comes up is not from OrbX, but a Laminar Research window.

Regarding the Log.txt file, I looked at it, but I wouldn't have a clue as to what I'm supposed to be looking for.

I'll post the log file here for your perusal. Perhaps you could see something there that is wrong. Thanks.

Log.txt

5 minutes ago, xplanemoke said:

Stephen - The warning just made me aware that something was wrong with the scenery and if I was ok with that then press 'Understood', which is what I did. There was no other option on that warning window. I couldn't see anything wrong with the scenery when I landed at LFSB. I realise now that that missing scenery warning window that comes up is not from OrbX, but a Laminar Research window.

Regarding the Log.txt file, I looked at it, but I wouldn't have a clue as to what I'm supposed to be looking for.

I'll post the log file here for your perusal. Perhaps you could see something there that is wrong. Thanks.

Log.txt 34.86 kB · 0 downloads

The warning is not in the log.txt? you have to start from LFSB  or at least load it to get the warning...   I think you started at LOWW_Wien? wrong airport?

22 minutes ago, Stephen said:

The warning is not in the log.txt? you have to start from LFSB  or at least load it to get the warning...   I think you started at LOWW_Wien? wrong airport?

I didn't see the warning in the log text file. The warning didn't come up when I started from LFSB (one would think it would), but only appears it seems in mid-flight on the way from anywhere to LFSB. My last flight just happened to start fron LOWW, but a flight previous to that started from LOWI (Innusbruck) when I first noticed the problem.

Oops - sorry - apologies Stephen - my bad - that scenery error message DOES appear on the screen as soon as I load up the sim starting from LFSB. Just tried it again and just noticed that.

That is a all very weird setup? There seems to be a conflict with the Orbx scenery Cardiff?

Failed to open Custom Scenery/Orbx_EGFF_A_Cardiff/opensceneryx/placeholder.obj: the file cannot be opened.
0:00:27.869 E/SCN: Custom Scenery/LFBS_Justsim_v1.0/Earth nav data/+40+000/+47+007.dsf:
0:00:27.869 E/SCN: Unable to load object file: Custom Scenery/Orbx_EGFF_A_Cardiff/opensceneryx/placeholder.obj

Why are they conflicting as the are in totally different loading regions?, pull out Cardiff and try to see if LFBS load fine, EGFF requires (opensceneryx), but a payware scenery should not require OpensceneryX as it is a freeware object... it is all very weird?  Cardiff looks very buggy, and yes the Orbx objects may need to be updated. You need to fix Cardiff (or redownload) before fixing LFBS (JustSim's scenery really never crash?).

Morning Stephen - I tried sending a message to you, but it said that you were unable to receive messages, so I'm posting the latest news here.

Your thoughts about removing OrbX's Cardiff scenery did the trick. No more scenery fault notice appearing at LFSB. Now I'll try re-installing Cardiff and see if the problem returns. If the problem DOES return, then I'm not sure at this stage what to do about it. To be honest with you, I've been having some reservations with OrBX's addon scenery, particularly their airports. Good as though they are, they do seem to me to be a little inefficient when it comes to performance and my top end PC does struggle a little with frame rates at places like London and KMIA in Florida. Also their depiction of roads is not very believable - they look as if they have been placed as an afterthought and they don't look as if they 'belong' with the rest of their scenery. Anyway, that's by the by. One thing I do know is that this JustFlight LFSB scenery is first class - very impressed tbh.

Just tried starting from Cardiff after re-installing the OrbX scenery - no problems there. So, must have been some sort of corruption in the software somewhere.

Thanks for all your help.

Messages are at the top in the envelope icon? Yes try an reinstall, but there is something not right with that Cardiff scenery, I would either do a redownload, or send them your weird copy? My guess is that the earth data is wrong, I don't have the Orbx Cardiff scenery so I can't check for you.

8 minutes ago, Stephen said:

Messages are at the top in the envelope icon? Yes try an reinstall, but there is something not right with that Cardiff scenery, I would either do a redownload, or send them your weird copy? My guess is that the earth data is wrong, I don't have the Orbx Cardiff scenery so I can't check for you.

Yes, tried the envelope at the top and after trying to send you a message it says (and I quote) 'Stephen cannot receive messages' in red lettering.

The message was thus: Trying this message method again - it all seems to be working again now thanks Stephen after re-installing Cardiff.

Regards,

M.

• 8 months later...