News! - Updated : KATL - Atlanta International UHD v2.1 by Nimbus Simulations

News! - Updated : KATL - Atlanta International UHD v2.1 by Nimbus Simulations

Just into the 2020 New Year, then Nimbus Simulations have done an v2.1 version update to their KATL - Atlanta scenery, which to be honest is a bit of a surprise, but any quick update and certainly in scenery is always welcome. So what has changed? Well quite a lot in a small update kind of way.

First item is the choice of either the older Orange/Cream facade or the newer Grey/Blue facade (by replacing the textures in the "New Airport" folder) as a lot of users complained about losing the original colours...

KATL - v2.1_Update_colours 1.jpgKATL - v2.1_Update_colours 2.jpg

I will admit I found the Grey/Blue a bit bland after the bright Orange/Cream (noted as Red, but it looks orange to me), but found myself warming to the facade with airport use. The main factor is what colour is correct and by airport images it is the Grey/Blue version, so I will obviously stay with that aspect of the scenery, but the choice is now there if you want it.

KATL v2_Concourse_ Detail 15.jpgKATL v2_Concourse_ Detail 12.jpg

I made a bit of a ho-ha about the "bad algae swamp" looking mesh textures around the KATL's boundary, as they were quite ugly to the eye on any approach path. So in this updated version Nimbus has made the coloured areas more hidden by using trees to cover the worst and the results are very good in filling out the boundaries into the normal mesh...

KATL - v2.1_Update_Swamp 1.jpgKATL - v2.1_Update_Swamp 2.jpgKATL - v2.1_Update_Swamp 3.jpgKATL - v2.1_Update_Swamp 4.jpg

Yes the textures still clash, and yes there are still some sharp lines between texture meshes, but at least the worst effects have been hidden on your approach paths, so it is a good fix.The custom mesh and also the ground textures have both been improved.

Ortho4XP compatibility is still missing, but Nimbus notes that Ortho4XP intergration is in the works, and it is being done being done by a third party developer. 

3d Grass has also been added and it is exceptional in covering out the wide empty field areas...

KATL - v2.1_Update_Grass 1.jpgKATL - v2.1_Update_Grass 2.jpg

KATL - v2.1_Update_Grass 3.jpgKATL - v2.1_Update_Grass 4.jpg

....  Nimbus noted the 3d Grass is an option because of a framerate hit, but if there is it is very minute and and the differences off or on are well worth a few extra clicks in the framerate.

Final change is that the Runway 27L/9R taxiway signs are now corrected.

So a nice update to an already excellent Atlanta scenery, and you also get the choice now of being Grey/Blue or Orange/Cream and so which colour are you?

The full X-PlaneReviews v2 KATL - Atlanta review is here: Scenery Upgrade : KATL- Hartsfield–Jackson Atlanta Intl Airport UHD v2 by Nimbus Simulation

X-Plane Store logo sm.jpg

Yes! KATL- Hartsfield–Jackson Atlanta Intl Airport UHD v2.1 by Nimbus Simulationis is now Available from the X-Plane.Org Store here :

KATL - Atlanta International UHD v2.1

Price is US$28.95

Customers of KATL v1 can get $10 off this new version: Coupon code can be found in your original invoice.

Requirements :

X-Plane 11
Windows, Mac or Linux 
4 GB VRAM Minimum. 8 GB+ VRAM recommended
Download size: 670 Mb
Current and Review version : 2.1 (January 16th 2020)

KATL v2.1 Changelog details

KATL v2.1 changelog.txt

(Disclaimer. All images and text in this review are the work and property of X-PlaneReviews, no sharing or copy of the content is allowed without consent from the author as per copyright conditions)

News by Stephen Dutton

17th January 2020

Copyright©2020: X-Plane Reviews

Logo Header X-PlaneReviews 200px.jpg

• 2 weeks later...