Scenery Upgrade : EDDL - Düsseldorf International v2 by JustSim

EDDL - Dusseldorf v2_Header.jpg

Scenery Upgrade : EDDL - Düsseldorf International v2 by JustSim

If you follow a lot of the reviews here on X-PlaneReviews you will be very familiar with EDDL -Düsseldorf International, as it is a mainstay scenery in our reviews for the western European areas of the simulator. Düsseldorf is a great central Europe scenery and has a lot of benefits, and yes while EDDF -Frankfurt is a more obvious choice, but it is also a very heavy scenery to use computer wise as it taxes the system quite heavily and I am hoping the Vulkan/Metal change will give me more options in using that scenery. So EDDL is usually my pick of the most efficient German central Europe airports that also supports the WT3 (WorldTraffic3) application very well.

JustSim released their first EDDL -Düsseldorf mid-2017 and for the period it was very good (and that Is why I used it consistently) but the scenery was not perfect, and that was mostly in the areas of the active elements and the period it was released in, there was a minor update in v1.1, but here is the larger upgrade v2 release of the JustSim EDDL airport, not much has been done since the original release, you even say it was even forgotten in the throes of constant updates that JustSim have lavished onto their other sceneries so this new version is very welcome indeed.

EDDL - Dusseldorf v2_JS_Head 1.jpgEDDL - Dusseldorf v2_JS_Head 2.jpgEDDL - Dusseldorf v2_JS_Head 3.jpgEDDL - Dusseldorf v2_JS_Head 4.jpg

The light here at Düsseldorf is very harsh, and that is not the developers fault but in the way the airport is positioned means that not a lot of the sunlight during the day gets to shine on the front side of the terminals, and that said the airport now has a full layout of infrastructure and the airport's surrounding local is very well filled out with custom objects, so the airport works extremely well for all your required visual viewpoints. German autogen is also excellent here in creating the best all round experience.

EDDL - Dusseldorf v2_JS_Head 5.jpgEDDL - Dusseldorf v2_JS_Head 6.jpgEDDL - Dusseldorf v2_JS_Head 7.jpgEDDL - Dusseldorf v2_JS_Head 8.jpg

There are a few areas the overexposed new Hi-Res (photo) ground textures that do show through and create a few flat spots, but overall you get a pretty full and comprehensive layout.

The ground textures are all new as well, and very good they are. The original layout was good anyway, but now you have the addition of the dynamic shading and occlusion (texture baking) effects which are now also active and they are very good at bring out the runway, taxiway textures in grooves and concrete blocks... 

EDDL - Dusseldorf v2_JS_Ground Textures 1.jpgEDDL - Dusseldorf v2_JS_Ground Textures 2.jpgEDDL - Dusseldorf v2_JS_Ground Textures 3.jpgEDDL - Dusseldorf v2_JS_Ground Textures 4.jpg

....  these effects also bring out the shiny wet look to a great dynamic effect, and yes they are very common now in all sceneries, but still very welcome here at EDDL were they work to a great effect and find some moody German weather and you will be right at home. The textures also feature grids, water drains and all the required ground markings and the signage is very good for highly realistic ground areas.

EDDL - Dusseldorf v2_JS_Ground Textures 5.jpgEDDL - Dusseldorf v2_JS_Ground Textures 6.jpgEDDL - Dusseldorf v2_JS_Ground Textures 7.jpgEDDL - Dusseldorf v2_JS_Ground Textures 8.jpg

I just love those wet look images.

EDDL - Dusseldorf v2_JS_Ground Textures 9.jpg

You now also get the same PBR (Physical Based Rendering) dynamics with the buildings and the terminals. This then lifts the original textures to a more life-like and depth of feel and I love the Germanic feel of steel and glass here that the Germans do so well, and the reflective glass here is perfect as is the rerendering of the original terminal modeling and texture, I loved DUS before, but now it is simply sensational.

EDDL - Dusseldorf v2_JS_Terminals 1.jpgEDDL - Dusseldorf v2_JS_Terminals 2.jpgEDDL - Dusseldorf v2_JS_Terminals 3.jpgEDDL - Dusseldorf v2_JS_Terminals 4.jpg

The original modeling and terminal textures are still here however, but now look slightly different in their PBR reflective guise, I personally think they are a huge lift to the scenery as I always thought the original textures always looked a little bland, 3d grass also lifts up the visual experience, well done 3d grass is a major help in hiding flat textures, and they work very well here.

EDDL - Dusseldorf v2_JS_Ground Textures 10.jpg

One of the biggest things missing in the original JustSim EDDL release was active airbridges...   arrive back at EDDL after the dynamic Scandi airports and Düsseldorf International felt very flat with it's boring static gates....

EDDL - Dusseldorf v2_JS_VGDS 1.jpgEDDL - Dusseldorf v2_JS_VGDS 2.jpgEDDL - Dusseldorf v2_JS_VGDS 3.jpgEDDL - Dusseldorf v2_JS_VGDS 4.jpg

....  now on arrival you now get the animated custom SafeDock System (plugin by Marginal), and yes it is now a very nice arrival to have and a big missing element of the original scenery now active and in being able to complete the rest of your service (in other words, to let the passengers off) and note the newer current "Enterprise Car Rental" DUS airbridge branding, and yes I will miss the long neck giraffes....  but in the sake of progress. More active ground vehicles have also been added and are extensive, but not many are DUS branded, but still the standard X-Plane default (SAS).

There has been a lot of changes at DUS since the last scenery release. Most significant is the new C concourse. If you are familiar with the older DUS then the daily A380 service by Emirates used to dock at gate B-03. Now there is a ULA code F three arm airbridge bay at C-02.

EDDL - Dusseldorf v2_JS_Terminals 6.jpgEDDL - Dusseldorf v2_JS_Terminals 7.jpgEDDL - Dusseldorf v2_JS_Terminals 8 LG.jpg

These new gate assignment changes can affect you another way. I loved the excellent WT3 traffic here at DUS, but it is now outdated...  JustSim do provide a full new set of WT3 ground routes and parking defs with the scenery, and they are very good and accommodate all the changes.

Control tower view has been adjusted and moved from the earlier positioned wrongly ramp tower on to the main, taller and bigger field tower. The field view is now fine with a great view of all the approaches, however if you look to the west (rear) you will get some structure in the view.

EDDL - Dusseldorf v2_JS_Tower 1.jpgEDDL - Dusseldorf v2_JS_Tower 2.jpg

Lighting

The lighting at EDDL is overall really good and very life-like...   all the aprons and ramps are excellent, with great lighting detail...

EDDL - Dusseldorf v2_JS_Lighting 1.jpgEDDL - Dusseldorf v2_JS_Lighting 2.jpg

EDDL - Dusseldorf v2_JS_Lighting 7 LG.jpg

EDDL - Dusseldorf v2_JS_Lighting 3.jpgEDDL - Dusseldorf v2_JS_Lighting 4.jpg

....   but there are a few points to make. Nightime building glass is still from the older style modeling and it shows, but as the glass is now reflective, you get a more certain heightened feel, a few notches down in the texture illumination would have countered this effect..

EDDL - Dusseldorf v2_JS_Lighting 5.jpgEDDL - Dusseldorf v2_JS_Lighting 6.jpg

...  but there are some imaginative ideas that are well done, like this lovely hangar drop lighting and working down on the ramps it a nice place to be.

EDDL - Dusseldorf v2_JS_Lighting 8.jpgEDDL - Dusseldorf v2_JS_Lighting 9.jpg

All the lighting is new and more focused (laser like) which works very well for the approach lighting and the runways...

EDDL - Dusseldorf v2_JS_Lighting 10 LG.jpg

...  the blue taxiway line lighting is however a bit strong and then overwhelms even the landing lighting, and really requires a few notches down please!

JustSim's EDDL is one of the best for WT3, and part of the main reason I have used it as noted consistently. A wide variety of aircraft use DUS from the huge A380 (Emirates) to the local colour Q400's of Eurowing's fleet. X-Life traffic is also supported.

EDDL - Dusseldorf v2_JS_Arrive 1.jpgEDDL - Dusseldorf v2_JS_Arrive 2.jpgEDDL - Dusseldorf v2_JS_Arrive 3.jpgEDDL - Dusseldorf v2_JS_Arrive 4.jpg

Summary

This v2 update to X-Plane11 standards from JustSim has been a long time coming, but it fixes most of the missing active elements that were missing in the original EDDL -Düsseldorf International scenery.

PBR - Shading and occlusion creates excellent ground and building effects are now active as is the reflective glass, and wet and reflection effects will now also work. Runway textures are all redone to create a 3d realism effect and the animated custom autogates also are now usable (yippee!) and finally taking away the bland previous static look. New lighting is very, very good, but the taxiway side line lighting are a bit over bright,

Gate and building changes at DUS (new Concourse C) are all reflected in the scenery and the required new WT3 grounds are provided as part of the package. 

negatives are small but night glass is still the older textures and with PBR are a little too bright, and those over bright taxi linage lights.

I really like and have used this EDDL -Düsseldorf by JustSim a lot over years, it is a major hub for me, and one of the main benefits are it's central Euro position, light frame rate carriage and extensive WorldTraffic 3 activity, so this v2 fills in a lot of the missing blanks that I had wished for in (active gates and (wet) reflections, so I am extremely happy with this update, if you have the original v1 EDDL -Düsseldorf by JustSim it is only US6 to update to this far better v2...  highly recommended.

X-Plane Store logo sm.jpg

Yes! EDDL -Düsseldorf International v2 by JustSim is now Available from the X-Plane.Org Store here :

EDDL -Düsseldorf International v2

Price is US$19.90

Customers of the previous EDDL v1 by JustSim can get this new v2 for only US$6!

Features:
  • Detailed airport objects and vehicles
  • Custom textured taxiways, runways and apron
  • Custom surroundings 
  • Custom airport lights
  • Compatible with X-Plane 11 features
  • Shading and occlusion (texture baking) effects on terminal and other airport buildings
  • High resolution ground textures / Custom runway textures
  • High resolution building textures
  • Excellent night effects
  • Realistic reflections on glass
  • Animated Autogates with SafeDock System (plugin by Marginal)
  • WT3 - World Traffic compatible
  •  X-Life traffic compatible
  •  Optimized for excellent performance

Installation

Download is 721mb and the scenery package is un-zipped and deposited into your X-Plane Custom Scenery folder

Note: if installed the previous version EDDL v1 it is to be removed

Total scenery installation is 2.21gb

Requirements :

X-Plane 11
Windows, Mac or Linux
4GB VRAM Minimum. 8Gb+ VRAM Recommended
Current and Review Version 2.0 (December 9th 2019)

Documentation:
No manual

Scenery Upgrade Review by Stephen Dutton

19th December 2019

Copyright©2019: X-Plane Reviews

Review System Specifications:

Computer System: Windows  - Intel Core i7 6700K CPU 4.00GHz / 64bit - 16 Gb single 1067 Mhz DDR4 2133 - GeForce GTX 980/SSE2 - Samsung Evo 1Tb SSD 

Software:   - Windows 10 - X-Plane 10 Global ver 11.41r1

Addons: Saitek x52 Pro system Joystick and Throttle : Sound - Bose  Soundlink Mini : Headshake by SimCoders

Plugins:  WorldTraffic3 US$29.95 (recommended) : Environment Engine v1.13 by xEnviro US$69.90

- Airbus A319 by Toliss (X-Plane.OrgStore) - US$69.00

Logo Header X-PlaneReviews 200px.jpg

55 minutes ago, rudeboy1988 said:

I'm a little confused... This is an old review or new? Why screenshots are from EDDL V1?

And link are broken. *htML are missing.

No that is all v2 images... the airbridges work and the texture surfaces are now dynamic which they don't on v1, so they must be v2...  link is fine?